PDA

View Full Version : Old lathe questions

Joe Grittani
09-30-2012, 2:04 PM
Hi -

I'm involved in restoring a historic site in southwestern Ohio and we turned up an old lathe on site. I'm seriously into hand tools but know absolutely nothing about turning or lathes. We're considering the possibility of
re-creating a woodshop on site in the future. The lathe is still in the same condition as photographed so there could be hidden info in the castings but there's nothing clearly visible. We have no idea if it's a manufactured piece or something home grown. I'm assuming that the frame below the bench top might be a treadle, but I'm not even sure of that or what did, in fact, power this thing. I'd greatly appreciate any insights or information that anyone could provide.

Joe Grits, Dayton, Ohio

Bill Houghton
09-30-2012, 4:21 PM
You might post this over on the turner's forum (points up, because the whirlybirds live on the forum that's listed just before this one on the forum directory).

Trevor Walsh
09-30-2012, 6:31 PM
Looks manufactured from what little I can see though maybe that's just the banjo. The bottom piece is a treadle, die to the pulley on the headstock I'd guess the treadle operated a larger flywheel and that ran a round belt to the headstock. Judging by the scoring in the headstock pulley.

bridger berdel
09-30-2012, 8:18 PM
try over on www.owwm.com