PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts on Tomatoes

Jim Koepke
09-30-2012, 12:56 PM
How do you like your tomatoes?

It is Okay to select more than one catagory.

As long as it is a Tomato it can't be all bad:

Sweet Tomatoes:

Tart Tomatoes:

No Yellow Tomatoes:

Two things money can't buy, that's true love and home grown Tomatoes:

Dale Cruea
09-30-2012, 1:07 PM
Any way I can get them.
Yes
Correct
yes
Yes
Yellow are fine.
Agree.

phil harold
09-30-2012, 1:23 PM
best sauce from over ripe tomatoes

ray hampton
09-30-2012, 1:24 PM
SHAME ON YOU , you forgot fried green tomatoes, otherwise home grown tomatoes will alway taste better

Jerome Stanek
09-30-2012, 1:32 PM
I loved the Greenhouse tomatoes we grew Wilt resistant #7 were my favorite.

Jim Koepke
09-30-2012, 2:14 PM
SHAME ON YOU , you forgot fried green tomatoes, otherwise home grown tomatoes will alway taste better

Sorry about that. My mother loved those, but no one else in the family cared much for them. My thought is why waste time at the stove?

Sometimes I will eat raw green tomatoes.

Often the tomatoes picked fresh in the yard do not make it in to the house.

jtk

Stew Hagerty
09-30-2012, 4:53 PM
Every year we plant about 6 or 7 different heirloom tomato plants in our small garden. We savor the time of year (like now) when they are all ripening rapidly. We eat caprese salads nearly every night. All too soon, a frost will come and I'll go out and pick anything and everything that is even close to ripening. I will place those on a tray by a window until they are ripe enough then oven dry them and put them up in some good olive oil. After that, except for those dried ones, until the early fall of next year we will hardly touch a tomato. Store bought ones just don't taste like anything.

ray hampton
09-30-2012, 6:45 PM
Every year we plant about 6 or 7 different heirloom tomato plants in our small garden. We savor the time of year (like now) when they are all ripening rapidly. We eat caprese salads nearly every night. All too soon, a frost will come and I'll go out and pick anything and everything that is even close to ripening. I will place those on a tray by a window until they are ripe enough then oven dry them and put them up in some good olive oil. After that, except for those dried ones, until the early fall of next year we will hardly touch a tomato. Store bought ones just don't taste like anything.

O YES they do, taste like [you supply the word]

Larry Edgerton
09-30-2012, 7:42 PM
How do you like your tomatoes?

Two things money can't buy, that's true love and home grown Tomatoes:

I see you are a Guy Clark listener as well......

As far as tomatos, never met one I didn't like. You know, you can eat'em in salad, you can eat'em in stew.......

Larry

David Weaver
09-30-2012, 8:09 PM
sun gold. That's it. They can go on pizzas, in salad, or just in a bowl as candy. Home grown, of course. They wouldn't transport well if they were allowed to ripen on the plant, so you have to grow them.

Frank Drew
10-01-2012, 1:05 PM
I like a good tomato but I've had plenty of tomatoes I didn't like: Just about any tomato served in a restaurant, most tomatoes served by folks at home if they didn't grow them out back, and, in fact, most home grown tomatoes. Home growing is great, but variety is key; I grew different tomatoes every summer hoping for that perfect tomato flavor and never found it until I grew some Brandywines. Since then I've had other heirlooms that were similarly flavorful. IMO, a tomato needs both ripe sweetness and acidity along with juiciness; too many commercial tomatoes these days are merely pale red styrofoam.

David Weaver
10-01-2012, 1:37 PM
The things that make them difficult to transport are the things that make them the best. The strong sweetness and acidity and the lack of what makes a good sauce tomato (that nasty gritty meaty stuff in the middle).

With the sun golds, the window for picking them if you want them vine ripe and perfect is probably about 3 days. But the ripeness is rotating over a 3 month period, there's always something good on the plants if you need a quart.

I haven't eaten a "bought" tomato that didn't taste like wet sawdust since. You just hope with the store tomatoes that whatever else you're eating covers them and obscures them both from taste and view.

ray hampton
10-01-2012, 1:48 PM
I fell down on sawdust pile and dry sawdust taste bad if you can call that a taste, do wet sawdust taste moldy

Curt Fuller
10-01-2012, 7:57 PM
Tomatoes are the only reason I grow a garden. This year I tried a couple heirloom varieties and wasn't impressed. Purple Cherokee were sweeter than I like, prone to cracking, and just not that great of a tomato for my taste. Also tried a Mister Stripey. Huge tomatoes similar to beefsteak in size and shape but again not quite the flavor I like. My personal favorite is Celebrity. Never thought of tomatoes as sweet or tart until growing the Purple Cherokee and they had a definite sweetness to them. So I guess I prefer a tart tomato.

Mel Fulks
10-01-2012, 9:26 PM
Mortgage Lifter is good one,has almost watermelon like solid texture,but some years the older types just don't do well.Have hear only good things about Celibrity,know a couple of people who have given up trying to grow the heirlooms in favor of them.

Shawn Pixley
10-01-2012, 11:57 PM
I hate tomatoes with no taste. The heirloom tomatoes are pretty good. Most tomatoes in restaurants are tomato shaped objects - totally undeserving of classification as tomatoes. They are bred for durability and taste suffers.

Curt Harms
10-02-2012, 7:27 AM
I hate tomatoes with no taste. The heirloom tomatoes are pretty good. Most tomatoes in restaurants are tomato shaped objects - totally undeserving of classification as tomatoes. They are bred for durability and taste suffers.

Tomato shaped objects - well said.

Mike Wilkins
10-02-2012, 10:03 AM
I like mine sliced with mayo between 2 slices of bread, add salt and pepper. Glass of iced tea is optional but preferred.

Jason Roehl
10-02-2012, 10:13 AM
When it comes to store- or restaurant-bought tomatoes, I eat 'em. Home-grown? I enjoy eating them. Still picking them out of our garden, too--we had a great crop this year, plus our church has a huge community garden, so we had even more varieties. Grape, pear, cherry, roma, early bird, yellow girl, and a bunch of others I don't recall.

Now, do we need to start another thread on hot peppers? Wooooooo! Blblblblblblblblb!

BOB OLINGER
10-02-2012, 2:59 PM
Romas are my favorite

Jim Koepke
10-03-2012, 4:26 PM
Tomatoes are the only reason I grow a garden. This year I tried a couple heirloom varieties and wasn't impressed. Purple Cherokee were sweeter than I like, prone to cracking, and just not that great of a tomato for my taste.

The most popular crop growing in home gardens is tomatoes and has been for years.

My wife likes the sweet ones. This year we have the Purple Cherokee and it is one that is all hers.

I have a yellow cherry that I thought was Gold Nugget, but it seems a bit different this year since it doesn't crack as much and the flavor is a bit better imo.

jtk

Mike Null
10-05-2012, 7:55 AM
I love tomatoes but can't remember the last time I had a good one. We have to buy ours from the store but even the stuff they say is home grown here in Missouri isn't good--no flavor. I'm from Ohio and I remember, like somebody else said, they didn't always make it to the kitchen from the garden.