PDA

View Full Version : Detail Gouge Question

Michael Pfau
04-15-2005, 8:25 PM
I have been reading a couple of books by Richard Raffan. He uses a 'detail gouge' alot. Can anybody tell me what it is? I think its a spindal gouge with a fingernail grind. Quite steep. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Richard Allen
04-15-2005, 9:12 PM
Hi Michael

Different manufactures call different tools detail gouges. I generaly reguard a detail gouge as a round spindle gouge with a shallow (more shallow that the usual spindle gouge) flute. This does two thing. One is it puts more steel in the tool so that there is less flex in the tool permitting more overhang. The shallow flute also puts the cutting edge farther above the centerlinr of the tool.

I like to grind this tool with a long fingernail grind so that the tool is fairly pointy (so I can reach into small places, detail). I also like to grind off the heel giving a shorter bevel. That grind gives me a good contact surface for the short bevel. With a longer bevel there can often be two points of contact, the cutting edge and the heel of the bevel. That heel contact can mark the turning behind the cut.

Good Luck

Michael Pfau
04-15-2005, 11:43 PM
Thank you for your imput!