PDA

View Full Version : Salt and Peppermills

Bernie Weishapl
09-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Well got my Salt/Peppermills and peppermills done I think. I did 22 of these. These are all made from Cherry, walnut and cedar. The salt and peppermill sets are cherry for salt and walnut for pepper. All are 8" and finished with laquer. Trying to get ready for a craft fair. I am going to try one this year after not doing any for 3 yrs. If this doesn't pan out it will probably be my last. The first one I did one I barely made enough to cover my table charge and the other three didn't even make enough to cover the fees. I am just not going to try and compete with a couple of guys selling slimlines for $5 to $7, Sierras for $12, toothpick holders for $6, bowls for $10 to $12, and vases for $15. Anyway hope this goes well.

Allan Ferguson
09-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Those look very good. I agree with your sentiments. Can not even regain the cost of wood for such prices. There is a lot of work in your turnings, and you should be able to gain a little for the effort.

Jim Burr
09-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Darn it Bernie!!! Slow down a little, some of us that still have to work for a living can knock out one or two things a week, but NOOOOOO...here comes Turnin' Bernie...3,487 items a week!!:D:D
I understand the cost-benefit thing, I quit when a guy was selling Sierra's for $15...think my kit costs that much. But I had an ace in the hole and did some foothill craft shows and paid for an entire years supplies.
Good luck...with the way your stuff looks, I'm guessing you'll do just fine! I want a good review of those mini mills when Mrs Bernie let's you out of the shop!;)

Rick Markham
09-30-2012, 1:04 PM
Holy Cow Bernie! You've been busy :D Those are all fantastic! I hope you sell them all and make some good money, you have certainly earned it.

ray hampton
09-30-2012, 1:30 PM
all nice work but this raise a question, How do the cedar wood affect the taste of salt and pepper ?

Bernie Weishapl
09-30-2012, 5:19 PM
Thanks to all. I hope everything goes and don't run into what I have in the past.

Ray all my mills have two coats of shellac inside. My sister and brother each have a salt & pepper mills. Neither has said a word about any taste difference.

ray hampton
09-30-2012, 6:24 PM
Thanks to all. I hope everything goes and don't run into what I have in the past.

Ray all my mills have two coats of shellac inside. My sister and brother each have a salt & pepper mills. Neither has said a word about any taste difference.

how long will shellac hold up with salt grains rubbing against its surface

John King
09-30-2012, 7:32 PM
Bernie - Planned pricing for peppermills? - John

Kathy Marshall
09-30-2012, 8:36 PM
Great job on all of them Bernie! Good luck with the craft show, hope you sell out!

Alan Trout
09-30-2012, 8:44 PM
Bernie,

That is a ton of nice work and wish you well in the craft fairs.

Good Luck

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
09-30-2012, 9:44 PM
Thanks again. I hope the fair goes well. I would love to come home and have to make a bunch more for the gallery and floral/craft store for Christmas.

Ray I am sure how long but my sister has had her's for 3 yrs now. I talked with her today and asked her. She said she hasn't noticed any cedar taste or anything different from when they were new.

Baxter Smith
09-30-2012, 11:18 PM
Looks like production mode Bernie! Hope you sell them all!

Michelle Rich
10-01-2012, 6:27 AM
You will be ready for the holiday selling season..The amt of turnings you are sharing this year is making me feel like a slouch!

Tim Rinehart
10-01-2012, 9:15 AM
Hope it goes well Bernie, very nice lot of mills. I like how you provide a little coaster to set them on too.

Jerry Marcantel
10-01-2012, 9:25 AM
Bernie, you have entirely too much time on you hands. You need to get a hobby or something..... Good looking mills....... Jerry (in Tucson)

Bernie Weishapl
10-01-2012, 3:49 PM
Thanks again. Don't know about to much time but I think I am finally ready. That is why I start Christmas in January.