PDA

View Full Version : A dovetail design for your consideration.

Ron Bontz
09-30-2012, 1:29 AM
I got out the french curves on this one and gave it a hang of approx. 47 degrees to the tooth line. So what do you think? The plate is 0.020", 16 ppi rip with 5 degrees rake. 10" +/- a skosh x 2" under spine so it can be used as a fine rip carcass if need be.
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/ronb19571/My%20Saws/IMG_0475.jpg
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/ronb19571/My%20Saws/IMG_0482.jpg
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/ronb19571/My%20Saws/IMG_0481.jpg
Thanks in advance.

Trevor Walsh
09-30-2012, 7:13 AM
The hang looks nice, I like the two different sizes of saw nuts (always have). The little flourish on the top horn looks good there, but I worry about short grain. I'm not feeling the side to side round over on the front part of handle though. What's the wood?

The plate looks really good, it reminds me of a straight razor, which sometimes has a radiused toe like that.

Chris Griggs
09-30-2012, 9:10 AM
Pretty much what Trevor said. I really like the plate, but not a fan of some of the rounding over on the handle. That's a pretty high hang angle - hows is feel in use? I ask because I'm literally in the midst of building two saws. Anyway overall looks really nice I think its especially cool how the curve on the front of the plate is continued into the front of the spine.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
09-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Not sold on the curve over the front/top of the handle, but it doesn't turn me off, either. I think it just looks a little funny to me because it's so unexpected. The little wiggle in the upper horn I guess I don't really like. I do like the little curves in the saw plate, though. As Trevor said, I really like the two sizes of saw nuts.

These, of course are personal aesthetic choices; they only need to please the owner or the maker of the saw, and not me! I think the craftsmanship, obviously, looks top notch, and there's a lot of attention to detail. Really impressive all around. Making my own saw (or at least a new handle for one I've got) is on my "someday" list.

I think there's a difficulty in striking a balance between "different" and "traditional" - I feel like you either need to go full on traditional, or traditional and some subtle tweaks to make it your own, or go for something almost entirely new (the way the LV saws have). It gets to be a difficult proposition when you're working with the design of something where a large part of it is dictated by function - there's a limit to what you can change because the shape and form are still limited by what still works as a saw. This is compounded by working with "traditional" materials. I feel like there's a potential to get tacky when you start changing every part that can be changed for the sake of it. There's a line that's too far - it's like a customizing a car or furniture - you can add a little detail here or there, but if you add detail or extra bits to to every part of it that will take it, it starts to look garish. Maybe I'm thinking electric guitars. Designs like the Flying V, or even the Stratocaster on some levels, are a bit out there from what preceded them. Adding a funky paint job or making it a little more pointy might even work. Make it really pointy, or make the shape kind of jagged or like hot-rod flames and it gets to be a little much, add a crazy paint job to that, and it's really too much. That line moves depending on the audience, and it can be hard to find.

I don't know if I'm voicing what I mean very well - as I said I'm certainly not knocking the craftsmanship, and at the day, design decisions are personal ones. I certainly don't think you've crossed over the line into over-the-top or garish,but I feel like there's a little more going on here than there needs to be, I'd be tempted to pull back on one of the unique features, or make them all a little more subtle.

But all of this is just my opinion. At the end of the day, even my own design aesthetic only matters to me if I'm sitting there looking at it. "I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers" as I've heard said, and even if was twice as ornate, I'd be glad to own it and use it if works as well as it looks like it was made, which I'm sure it does.

I hope none of this sounds overly negative - I'm not good at articulating here, and I'm just trying to be open about my thoughts on the design. I certainly think you've done some awesome work, so great job.

the hang angle looks quite high, but I feel like it might be very pleasing for someone who wants to cut joinery at a bench that's sized at a lower height for planing without using an auxiliary vise. I think I'd enjoy it. Love to give a saw with that hang a try.

Jim Koepke
09-30-2012, 12:43 PM
I would love to have a saw like that.

Send a PM for my address if it needs a new home. :D

jtk

Jim Matthews
09-30-2012, 12:53 PM
I would love to have a saw like that.

Send a PM for my address if it needs a new home. :D

jtk

Warning, slippery slope ahead.

Adam Cruea
10-01-2012, 7:56 AM
I'm honestly not sure I could use that because frankly, it looks very nice and like a collector's piece. As others have said, the two different sized saw nuts look sweet.

I really like the rounded toe on the sawplate though. That is seriously spiffy!