PDA

View Full Version : Two Laser Engraved Plates

Kathy Marshall
09-29-2012, 11:16 PM
I posted about Gia's plate early in September. Gia is the 16 month old daughter of a client of my tree trimmers, who recently lost her battle with cancer. The tree trimmers asked if I would turn something for them to give to the parents.
I took the plate to be laser engraved and just picked it up on Friday. Today I applied a few coats of WTF but I was getting alot of wipe marks. I sanded it back to level then decided to try spraying it on with an air brush. That went better after fiddling with the settings. I diluted the WTF about 1:1 with water and that was a little thin, it would probably go better with a 2:1 mix. I need to do a little sanding on it tomorrow, then I'll apply a few more coats of WTF then buff and wax.
I also took another plate to be laser engraved. This is an ash plate that I turned for my stepmother.
It's 11" x 1" finished with antique oil then buffed and waxed.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Doug W Swanson
09-30-2012, 2:30 AM
Those turned out very nice. I'm sure the recipients will love them!

Bob Haverstock
09-30-2012, 7:19 AM
Kathy,

Those both are wonderful examples of your love, patiences, and skill. Simply saying that they are beautiful isn't enough, they will always be heart felt.

Bob Haverstock

Rick Markham
09-30-2012, 9:35 AM
Those are great plates Kathy. If you don't mind me asking but what were your settings for spraying the WTF? I spray it regularly with out having to dilute it.

Marc Himes
09-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Very nice plates Kathy and very touching stories. Turning them must have been a meaningful experience for you. Lives touched by loss can be enriched by memories and knowing that others care.

Kathy Marshall
09-30-2012, 8:57 PM
Thanks everyone!

Those are great plates Kathy. If you don't mind me asking but what were your settings for spraying the WTF? I spray it regularly with out having to dilute it.
What I have is just a cheap little HF air gun, there aren't any numbered settings on it but I got the best results when I reduced the amount of finish being sprayed and increased the air flow. I diluted the WTF because part of the problem with wiping it on is that it dries almost immediately (the air is so dry here). I diluted it so the droplets would have a chance to flatten before they dried, but next time I'll reduce the dilution.

Bernie Weishapl
09-30-2012, 9:59 PM
Those are beauties Kathy. Really well done. They will be cherished.

Tim Rinehart
10-01-2012, 9:36 AM
Very very nice. I like how these turned out.

Nick Jarrell
10-01-2012, 6:05 PM
Very nice plates Kathy. I just finished turning a plate that I need to get engraved for my parents anniversary. I hope mine turns out as good as yours.