PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ash

Kathy Marshall
09-29-2012, 10:50 PM
I took a break from turning this week, and by Friday I'd had enough. I had to put a gouge to wood or I was going to go nuts. I just wanted to do something fairly quick, so instead of picking one of my "good" blanks, I scrounged around and came up with a small ash log that had been hanging around awhile, was fairly dry and was in pretty good shape.

I turned it to a cylinder thinking I might use it for more coasters, but decided to go with a small hf instead.
It's 5" x 4 1/4". I applied a turquoise blue dye, then sanding sealer to set the dye, then about 4 coats of spray on lacquer, buffed and waxed. I wanted some shine, but I also wanted to see and feel the grain which is why I didn't apply more coats. Since some of the dye bled through to the inside, I coated the inside with black gesso.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

John M. Smith
09-29-2012, 10:55 PM
I really like this. The form is spot on. Looks like the curve is perfect. I love this color. How did you apply it? And what kind of dye?

Kathy Marshall
09-30-2012, 12:42 AM
I really like this. The form is spot on. Looks like the curve is perfect. I love this color. How did you apply it? And what kind of dye?
Thanks John, it's a metal compound dye, don't know the brand name, I bought some from Chris Pytlik when he demoed for our club. The powdered dye can be mixed with water or alcohol (I use acetone). I just use a small piece of paper towel to wipe it on until I get the color where I want it.

Doug W Swanson
09-30-2012, 2:34 AM
Must be nice to be able to just whip something up like this (then again I've had no shop time this summer)!

Looks great, Kathy. I love the form and the wood has nice grain to it.....

Marc Himes
09-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Very nice for and I really like the color. I would love to be able to get turquoise but usually just come up with Teal when mixing my own. The idea of putting black gesso on the inside sounds very smart as dyes can come through and stain the outside. Thanks for posting and explaining your technique.

Bernie Weishapl
09-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Cool piece Kathy. Love the color.

Allan Ferguson
09-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Very pretty.

ray hampton
09-30-2012, 2:37 PM
Kathy, your post title confuse me until I read the post , Blue Ash is a town in Ohio, nice vessels and colour

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-30-2012, 7:34 PM
I love seeing all this color the Creekers are beginning to show. Really good choice of color for this form Kathy. Gesso is a terrific tool to cover an interior and take the viewers eye to the outside. Did you really go five days without making chips?
faust

Kathy Marshall
09-30-2012, 8:19 PM
Thanks everyone!

I love seeing all this color the Creekers are beginning to show. Really good choice of color for this form Kathy. Gesso is a terrific tool to cover an interior and take the viewers eye to the outside. Did you really go five days without making chips?
faust
Thanks Faust, technically I only went 4 days since I made chips on the 5th ;)

Alan Trout
09-30-2012, 8:41 PM
Nice piece, and nice color Kathy, I really like the grain orientation as well.

Alan

John Beaver
09-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Kathy, I'm not sure how I like the color, but the shape and balance of the wood is wonderful.

Baxter Smith
09-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Pretty teal Kathy. I tried mixing some up with Transtint. Looked about like pressure treated wood.

Tim Rinehart
10-01-2012, 9:23 AM
Kathy, your post title confuse me until I read the post , Blue Ash is a town in Ohio, nice vessels and colour

Ray...caught my eye too! I grew up and went to school in that town! Go Aviators!!!:p

Beautiful piece and color Kathy. What made you decide to use acetone as the base for the dye? Advantages over DNA or Water?