PDA

View Full Version : abrasive for 22-44 drum sander

matt hogan
09-29-2012, 4:12 PM
My local supplier no longer has abrasive rolls for my Performax 22-44 plus sander. I'm wondering if
I can use Abranet rolls on this machine. Anyone here do this? This is my first post though I've been reading a lot.Thanks , Matt.

Bill Huber
09-30-2012, 10:42 AM
My local supplier no longer has abrasive rolls for my Performax 22-44 plus sander. I'm wondering if
I can use Abranet rolls on this machine. Anyone here do this? This is my first post though I've been reading a lot.Thanks , Matt.

Welcome to the creek, great place to get all kinds of great information.

I have a Jet 10-20 and the Jet rolls have been really good and last long, I get them from Klingspor, that is where I get all my paper so I just started getting the rolls there also. http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/pe18225/

(http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/pe18225/)They also have the conveyor belts for all the Jet drum sanders.

Carl Beckett
09-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Several posts here will success using Abranet - and users have stated they are '10 times happier'.

One recent post:

"Maybe you might convert it to velcro, like I'm doing, and keep it around. It's a lot more convenient when it's hook and look. I also switched to Abranet and now I like it 10 times better than before."

John Coloccia
09-30-2012, 1:13 PM
Several posts here will success using Abranet - and users have stated they are '10 times happier'.

One recent post:

"Maybe you might convert it to velcro, like I'm doing, and keep it around. It's a lot more convenient when it's hook and look. I also switched to Abranet and now I like it 10 times better than before."

That's me :)

I switched to heavy duty abranet rolls a few months ago. They last a very long time and don't seem to ever burn. You will surely have to adjust the pressure rollers after making the change because the abranet is a little thicker.

I'm just getting around to switching everything over to velcro. One concern I have is that there may not be enough clearance with the pressure rollers anymore, and I may need to make a little modification to get it working again...not sure. The Abranet by itself works fine, though.

If you just want to stick with regular abrasives, I get the rolls from Industrial Abrasives. I think I used to buy them in 50yd rolls. I've never bought the pre-sized rolls. It only take a minute to make the cuts myself. I won't ever go back to that, though. I'm sold on Abranet.

Here's a little trick if you have rolls or butcher paper or masking paper around. Take a new roll after you've sized it perfectly for the drum (do NOT use an old rolls....they stretch with use and you will be too long). Lay it out on the paper, cut it to size, and now you have a template for making future cuts. It just takes a second and will save you a lot of money not buying pre-sized rolls.

Rich Riddle
09-30-2012, 9:22 PM
I get abrasives from Hardwood, Lumber & More in Milford, Ohio. He sells his brand for less than half the price of Jet. In my experiences the belts last longer than the Jet belts as well. Lots of the rolls fit in a small box for shipping.

James Hicks
10-02-2012, 9:06 PM
Where do you get the hook and loop. I have this sander and would like to make the change over.

John Coloccia
10-02-2012, 9:56 PM
Where do you get the hook and loop. I have this sander and would like to make the change over.

I bought the Grizzly kit. I haven't installed it yet, but I think it will work OK. I should get to it this week some time. Hold off for a week and let me blaze the path if you'd like. I may run into major problems and have to back track.