PDA

View Full Version : Drill press table not clamping tightly to column

Drew Eckhardt
09-29-2012, 3:29 AM
I have a Delta 17-965 drill press and the table clamp on the column stopped doing it's job - the lever gets tight like it always does but the table rotates about the column with some resistance and still has play about its pitch axis.

What's up and how do I fix it, preferably without lifting the heavy head off the column (I herniated my L4-L5 disc sneezing immediately following the initial setup, and blame the drill press)?

I haven't done any metal drilling in years and might speculate that wood (probably MDF shavings from brad-point bits) has found its way in there.

Myk Rian
09-29-2012, 9:56 AM
Is the clamping slot fully closed? If so, you might try filing any burrs off and try to get it to close tighter.

Ronald Blue
09-29-2012, 1:35 PM
Along with what Myk said, when clamped look at the gap where the clamp pulls together. If it shows little or no gap and you might use a feeler gauge to check this. There could be a bump around where the clamp goes through. If you determine that there is either a burr or bump or foreign material try removing the clamp assembly after you have supported the the table try using a hacksaw blade to pass through it. it will probably remove a little stock but that won't hurt anything. If it needs more removed you can always squeeze it together and take more off. Let us know what you find.
One other option to create more clamping force that might be quicker and easier is if you have or have access to an air cutoff tool with a 1/16(.062) wheel you could use it to widen the slot. Use it with a guard and safety goggles. Just an option that might be easier.

ray hampton
09-29-2012, 1:41 PM
If the gap are not wide enough to file try a hack saw blade, use as a scraper by hand-held

Do to a mistake ,I did not see the other post that recommended a hacksaw blade

Drew Eckhardt
09-29-2012, 2:05 PM
Is the clamping slot fully closed? If so, you might try filing any burrs off and try to get it to close tighter.

There's a full 3/32" of clearance.

ray hampton
09-29-2012, 3:11 PM
There's a full 3/32" of clearance.

are the gap measurement on other drill table the same as this 3 / 32 ?
are the clamp and column free of excess grease or wax

glenn bradley
09-29-2012, 5:14 PM
So you've got a gap that will allow travel. Are there any threads left on the shaft? That is are you tightening against the absence of threads? A washer or two on between shaft and handle would tell this quick enough.

Drew Eckhardt
09-29-2012, 5:52 PM
So you've got a gap that will allow travel. Are there any threads left on the shaft? That is are you tightening against the absence of threads? A washer or two on between shaft and handle would tell this quick enough.

There's a lot of thread remaining once it's tight. The male threads appear undamaged. A few washers from the bolts I use to clamp a drill press vise on there make no difference. Grease on the threads might let me get it a little tighter but not enough to prevent rotation.

This used to work. I'd like to say it worked fine in the last month, although I may just not have bumped it hard enough to move it.

Keith Westfall
09-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Didn't do something silly like spray the table top with a protectant and get some on the shaft did you? Wouldn't take too much to make a difference...

phil harold
09-30-2012, 12:16 AM
Cracked casting?
Bolt turns when you tighten the nut?
too much lubricant on the column?
or the threads of the bolt? (just guess what happened when I lubricated all my clamps with graphite...)

Carl Beckett
09-30-2012, 9:10 AM
The only other thing might be some debri has gotten in between the collar and the column - so its not pulling down uniformly (or some type of burr or high point). Without lifting it off to inspect? Tricky. Maybe take the clamping bolt all the way out, then pry apart (gently) and try to shine a flashlight in from the bottom and see if you can get a view around the interface.