PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell "Contractor's Special" Saw

Tim Streagle
09-29-2012, 2:44 AM
Picked up an older Rockwell/Delta contractor's saw this week off of C.L. Wow! That thing is heavy. It had the original Biesmeyer 52 inch fence with white iron on it, a custom made (welded) mobile base with table support, and a Brett guard (?). I'm also the one who picked up the Grizzly 1021 15 inch planer in the same $500 sale. Both tools appeared to be well taken care of, seller said they were his dad's tools. Do I get to legitimately gloat over this? Been looking for a used saw and it fit the bill.

The saw arbor has no looseness but it does feel like it's dry. What lubricant would you recommend dribbling down into it while I have it apart? And would a white lubricant be okay for the worm adjustments? Any other lubricant recommendations? I have most of the good high tech silicones and teflons in spray or tube.

scott spencer
09-29-2012, 7:21 AM
You got both for $500? If so, definitely gloatable...even if not, if you're happy go ahead and gloat! Enjoy!

Bill Huber
09-29-2012, 9:29 AM
There is an unwritten rule around here and that is, NO Pictures, it didn't happen....

So if you want to gloat then you know what you have to do....

Carroll Courtney
09-29-2012, 9:37 AM
Welcome Tim,but like Bill said"it never happen" But,until the pics show up,the arbor bearings are sealed and never need lubricating so replacement may be in order( I would wait on that).Maybe replace the belts since its been setting.And if the saw has more than one belt,you should consider getting a match set.----Carroll

Joseph Tarantino
09-29-2012, 11:14 AM
avboid things like white lithium grease on TS innards as it tends to trap and hold sawdust in unwanted areas. spray on dry lubes would be better. often wondered about beeswax?

Mel Fulks
09-29-2012, 11:44 AM
I've had the best luck with the "never seize" type assembly lube. It seems to work even in all that dust,I wear gloves and apply it with an old tooth brush and ,in some places, a real skinny stick.