PDA

View Full Version : Bee Wax Finish

Fred Belknap
09-28-2012, 10:22 PM
I have a commission from a lady to make her a cherry bowl and finish it with bees wax. What is the approved method of apply bees wax. Will it retain it looks over time and what does one do to keep it looking good?

John Lifer
09-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Depends on your wax. If it is solid, just rub on turning then take soft cloth and hold against bowl. Will melt right in.
If more a paste, they you've got a minute or two for the wax to harden, then buff right up.
Finish is pretty temporary. If you handle much or use it, wax will be gone quick.
Suggest you turn something small, finish it and then try it out.

Bernie Weishapl
09-29-2012, 12:43 AM
I use stick bees wax and I use the method Raffan uses. I have the bowl spinning and hold it on moving it back and forth. I use a rag to burn it in. I can tell you it is not a finish that will last. If it is to be used after a couple of washings it will be mostly gone. I don't use wax much any more unless it is over walnut oil but there again after a few washing it will be gone.

Michelle Rich
09-29-2012, 6:19 AM
many folks prefer wax, as it is instantly repairable. Folks stab lettuce & such in salad bowls and scrape hard finishes off.. I have made & used salad bowls for eons & have never put hard finishes on them.. If the customer uses an oil & vinegar type dressing, the bowl will soak up the oil over time & look fantastic. So tell your customer to clean the bowl & then wipe it with olive oil (no it will not go rancid) and the bowl will be spectacular thru the ages

David Dobbs
09-29-2012, 9:36 AM
1 # For Michelle

I have never used anything other than wax to finish my bowls. Mainly Bees Wax or MinWax Fininshing Wax. Bees Wax I just spin it on an burn it / melt it in with a flannel rag works great. I started turning when I was 12 I am soon to be 52. My Dad an my shop teacher showed me how to do it. I have a bowl that I put my change in every night it was one of my very early turnings (faceplate screw holes in the back before I used a glue block). It just has wax on it.

Peter Blair
09-29-2012, 10:04 AM
I really like bees wax and mineral oil. Have used it for years. It does not 'polish' but looks and feels great, and can easily be wiped on over and over as required.

Harry Robinette
09-29-2012, 9:41 PM
Bee's wax and mineral oil for me to all my usage bowls platters spoons whatever, I use George's Club House Wax get it at Woodcraft. I love the stuff but I do know George as a friend. His wax is made here in Cleveland with food grade mineral oil and Ohio bee's wax and it works great.