PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 66 motor cover

Jerry Lawrence
09-28-2012, 7:30 PM
I have a powermatic 66 table saw which is missing the dust shroud which covers the motor. Obviously with the big gaping hole around the motor, dust collection is not very efficient. I have seen replacement parts online, but figured (like many of you, I'm sure) that I could make something with leftover plywood pieces I have kicking around. My question is, how much space do I need to leave between the end of the motor and the back of the box? Also, if the base of the saw is pretty much all sealed up, with dust collection attached sucking all the air out, where does the air come from to keep the motor cool? If the air is being sucked out with the DC, I would think the motor would be starved of air and overheat, and if the only air being drawn through the motor was air from the base of the saw, then dust would be drawn through the motor as well. Am I overthinking this? Do I need to leave an airflow vent somewhere? But mostly, how much space between the end of the motor and the back wall of the shroud box?
Thanks for any advice and information!

Paul Murphy
09-28-2012, 8:59 PM
Chris made the motor cover for this PM66 he restored in this thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?72699-Powermatic-66-Restore-Complete (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?72699-Powermatic-66-Restore-Complete)

If you ask him I'm sure he would have some good pointers on making one for your saw.
I know the plastic cover on my 66 sticks out right about 2" past the table wing.

Larry Edgerton
09-29-2012, 6:59 AM
I made one for mine. For dust collection I sloped the bottom on a steep angle, and I used the top side of it to support a table extension.

Chris Rosenberger
09-29-2012, 9:12 AM
Leave at least 1" between the motor & cover. Unless you plug all of the openings in the cabinet, you will not have trouble with air flow. There is a gap between the table & cabinet that will provide a lot of air flow + the hand wheel gap in front & the blade guard gap in back. The air the dust collector pulls through the cabinet will also provide cooling for the motor. The motor is enclosed, so the dust will not damage the motor.

Carroll Courtney
09-29-2012, 9:50 AM
I made mine out of 16ga metal last yr and I have to say that it was alot of work,but I did enjoy doing it.One of the areas that I was not sure of was the clearance between the cover and the motor w/blade @ 90* then while changing the angle of the blade to 45*.So just for lack of knowledge I pick out of the air 2".If my home computer was out of the shop I would post pics.Making the cover yourself out of metal,wood you can add some style into it.But if you live in a state that has alot of shops that make barbeque pits they will make you a cover out of metal for some side money.Post some pics of your process----Carroll