PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the stink bugs!!!

Kevin Bourque
09-28-2012, 6:27 PM
Anybody else being inundated with hordes of stink bugs?
I have killed at least 500-600 in just the last 3 days.
They are real easy to kill with a fly swatter.
They land on the side of the house by the dozens and I just SWAT!SWAT!SWAT! until they are all gone.
They are an invasive species from Asia I think and in the last 4-5 years they have become a HUGE problem around here.

Myk Rian
09-28-2012, 6:38 PM
We had swarms of them a couple years ago. It's an Asian lady bug.
Notice I said we HAD swarms. Hardly see them now.
It's pretty frustrating, but they'll be gone.
If you keep swatting them, the juice will stain the house.

Roger Newby
09-28-2012, 7:01 PM
Spray them with soapy water. Quick kill.

ray hampton
09-28-2012, 8:33 PM
don't lady bugs eat the bad bugs

Myk Rian
09-28-2012, 9:06 PM
don't lady bugs eat the bad bugs
Yes. They eat Aphids.

Larry Fox
09-29-2012, 8:29 AM
We are lousy with them. In one day we went from no stink bugs to all stink bugs.

Paul Saffold
09-29-2012, 9:03 AM
They weren't too bad last year, but are really bad now. They are easy to catch. When they start to fly they most always drop down. An old plastic cottage cheese container half filled with water and dish detergent works well. Slide it up under them and they fly in for the swim of a lifetime. Don't squash them or step on them or they release their "stink" which is their defense against predators. They do a lot of damage to the apple and peach orchards.

Tony De Masi
09-29-2012, 9:37 AM
Dish liquid and warm water from a spray bottle kills em dead.

Peter Kelly
09-29-2012, 12:05 PM
I set one up one like this at my parent's place last fall and it worked well. Simple too: http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-democrat/index.ssf/2010/10/stink_bugs_bothering_you_delaw.html

Now would be a good time to trap them outside before they invade your house for winter.

Frank Drew
09-29-2012, 7:44 PM
Stink bugs aren't the same as the Asian lady bugs (which look like our domestic lady bugs.)

We've had them bad for a few years but there were very few last Spring so I thought maybe this fiendish pestilence had burned itself out, but, no, they've come back with a vengeance this past week.

Indoors, I vacuum them; I don't bother with them outdoors.

Myk Rian
09-30-2012, 6:45 AM
If those are the bugs Kevin is referring to, I spray them with Sevin mixed in a spray bottle.
They seem to live and breed in the landscaping cedar chips my Wife likes to have. They especially like it underneath rocks.

Frank Drew
09-30-2012, 1:41 PM
Myk,

Those are the fellows.

Fred Voorhees
09-30-2012, 2:53 PM
I set one up one like this at my parent's place last fall and it worked well. Simple too: http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-democrat/index.ssf/2010/10/stink_bugs_bothering_you_delaw.html

Now would be a good time to trap them outside before they invade your house for winter.

Pete...such a small world we live in! I actually wrote for that newspaper...The Hunterdon County Democrat for a few years covering the local dirt track stock car racing. And the reporter...Mrs. Kiriluk Hill graduated with my younger brother. I saw this article a few weeks ago and I am thinking of giving it a try since the stink bug invasion is beginning to get underway again. Hopefully, it will somewhat work.

David G Baker
09-30-2012, 4:24 PM
The stinkers I have invading my place are longer and a little narrower than the one in the photo. When I was a kid on the farm we would get a lot of the smaller ones in the hopper when we combined our grains. They also were several different colors. I also have a bunch of Box Elder bugs trying to get in my buildings for the Winter. Stink bugs I usually squash the ones out doors and capture the ones that get inside in a pill bottle and flush them down the toilet. I don't bother the lady bug type bugs if they are out doors but if they get inside they join the stink bugs in the Loo.

Greg Portland
10-01-2012, 2:05 PM
Anybody else being inundated with hordes of stink bugs?
I have killed at least 500-600 in just the last 3 days.
They are real easy to kill with a fly swatter.
They land on the side of the house by the dozens and I just SWAT!SWAT!SWAT! until they are all gone.
They are an invasive species from Asia I think and in the last 4-5 years they have become a HUGE problem around here.
Smashing them does a great job of releasing their pheromone (smell) that attracts more stink bugs. Lady bugs are the same way (don't smash them!). Use the soapy water spray or vacuum them up (bagged vacuum only, not bag-less).

They now sell stink bug traps in hardware stores if you've got an infestation.

ray hampton
10-01-2012, 3:56 PM
Smashing them does a great job of releasing their pheromone (smell) that attracts more stink bugs. Lady bugs are the same way (don't smash them!). Use the soapy water spray or vacuum them up (bagged vacuum only, not bag-less).

They now sell stink bug traps in hardware stores if you've got an infestation.

How do you get them to the hardware store and in the trap ?

Myk Rian
10-01-2012, 4:00 PM
How do you get them to the hardware store and in the trap ?

LOL. Good question, Ray.

Peter Kelly
10-01-2012, 4:55 PM
Pete...such a small world we live in! I actually wrote for that newspaper...The Hunterdon County Democrat for a few years covering the local dirt track stock car racing. And the reporter...Mrs. Kiriluk Hill graduated with my younger brother. I saw this article a few weeks ago and I am thinking of giving it a try since the stink bug invasion is beginning to get underway again. Hopefully, it will somewhat work.
Cool! That design of trap works pretty well until it gets damp so coat the cardboard with shellac or set it up under a roof eave. Can also coat the inside with spray glue or double stick tape so the bugs can't get out. Remember to cover the top so it's dark in there.

Hopefully we have a real winter this year...

ray hampton
10-01-2012, 8:20 PM
Cool! That design of trap works pretty well until it gets damp so coat the cardboard with shellac or set it up under a roof eave. Can also coat the inside with spray glue or double stick tape so the bugs can't get out. Remember to cover the top so it's dark in there.

Hopefully we have a real winter this year...

I know what type of weather we will see this winter but before I write the report I want one dollar for each word in the report