PDA

View Full Version : 24TT Power Supply

Pete Thomas(UK)
09-28-2012, 3:51 PM
Just having major problems with my 24TT. I switched it on and heard like a fuse going. Epliog reckoned the mother board gone. Couldn't see anything wrong. On further investigation I noticed a capacitor blown on the combo board in the front of the machine. This connects power supply to mother board,x y axis motor and display panel. Bought new combo board no change. Mother board was getting 48 volts but not lower voltages. Suspect the power supply unit fitted on top of main 48volt unit. On removal I found a fuse blown. Replaced fuse and it blew straight away. Disconnected all outputs from supply and still blew fuse. Power supply definitely iffy. Any suggestions. Notice a thermistor looks a bit damaged see black component on photo. This power supply is no longer made by PowDec.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Pete

Richard Rumancik
09-28-2012, 6:49 PM
I assume the Epilog can't provide a supply either? Or are you looking for something cheaper?

You might be best to take the power supply to a technician to see if they can repair it. However if it is a proprietary transformer or such that is blown you will be out of luck.

There could also be the possibility of finding something compatible but mounting and space are issues to be addressed. It may mean cutting off harnesses from the old one, or adding a harness/connector to the new one. You have to be confident that you know what you are doing or damage will result.

If you need 3.3V/6A 12V/.5A and 5V/6A you might be able to find a small PC power supply that would work. They are often 100-240VAC inputs. It might need a harness change to make it turn on but these are common PC voltages and the supplies come in a lot of diffferent form factors. I'm thinking of SFF (small form factor) PC's.

Amos De Pasquale
09-30-2012, 12:14 AM
Peter, that is a surge thermistor that has blown, usually put in circuit to protect against surges in power, the board would work without that in it, BUT, with no protection against power fluctuations. ALSO, sometimes other components have blown anyway, like the bridge diodes and main input regulator IC; I am in Australia, but would gladly have looked at it for you. The problem lies in getting the dedicated parts that are sometimes used, Amos

Pete Thomas(UK)
09-30-2012, 5:22 PM
Hi Amos thanks for your answer.

It is indeed the 3.3v,5v,12 supply that has gone. Found a 0.22ohn resistor also blown on the old board. Made byPowDEC. THis link http://www.powdec.com/pdf/upn65.pdf shows an almost identical supply just a bit more output capacity. Fine if I can get hold of one. I had thought about using the ATX93 power supply found on many PC's- any thoughts? Much cheaper. The main 48 volt supply is fine.

Pete Thomas(UK)
09-30-2012, 6:37 PM
Just did a quick fit of the ATX93 psu and it boots up just fine. Need to run a few jobs through to check. Mother board seems ok all LED's light up as they shoud. Certainly beats having to buy a complete new power supply for silly money. Got the ATX from an old desktop tower.

Pete Thomas(UK)
10-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Ran a few jobs today and all was just fine. I then got an email from a company in the UK that had one in stock. It was the same as the one i removed from the 24tt except th the output is 65 watts as opposed to 43watts for the original. Same circuit bard and most of the components seem the same. The cost was an unbelievable £5.00!!! with post post and packing of £3.50.

I then found over 900 for sale in the states at a very cheap price.
http://www.powersupplydepot.com/Power_Supplies/Three_Output_Power_Supplies/+5V,_10A_and_+3_3V,_10A_and_+12V,_1A_PowDec_Power_ Supply_18847_PS.asp.

Epilog can only supply the whole 48 volt supply and the the 3v, 5v, 12v mother board supply as one unit at £1000.00.

I will keep the ATX as an emergency spare.

Hope this helps any one in the same situation.

Pete