PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Question Re: Fonts

Paul Williams from Nunavut
09-28-2012, 1:34 PM
A client wants a brass plate engraved, but she wants me to use syllabics (a non-english alphabet, non-roman orthography) for the text. Using an M40 combined with Gravostyle 7 software, anybody know a way that this can be done? I know how to do it on my laser engraver with CorelDRAW X5, but haven't any clue how to arrange it on the rotary.

I'm hoping the answer is that I'll have to pay someone to create a new font set for me.

Blessings, and thanks.

Ross Moshinsky
09-28-2012, 1:39 PM
Type it in with a true type font and then fill engrave. It's an option in the screen where you choose your cutter.

09-28-2012, 1:44 PM
Type it in with a true type font and then fill engrave. It's an option in the screen where you choose your cutter.

Thanks, Ross, I'll give that a try. Let you know. Cheers

Albert Nix
09-30-2012, 3:15 PM
Dont think you can engrave brass with a 40w CO2 if that is what you are tring to do. cant cut metal with it and the brass will just soak up the heat.

Mark Sipes
09-30-2012, 3:42 PM
the M40 is a rotary engraver.. not a laser

http://www.gravograph.com/usa/images/Machines/M40-DV.jpg

09-30-2012, 5:38 PM
Thanks, Mark. Albert, as Mark says, the M40 will do brass, thankfully.

Ross, thanks for the suggestion about using the True Type font. The image shows up correctly on the Gravostyle software. The option you spoke of, would that be the option to use the spindle as opposed to the non-spindle? Thanks.

Mike Null
10-01-2012, 8:04 AM
Paul

You should be able to use either. On my Newing Hall I would select the text then under my engrave settings,fill. That provides a flyout with options for fills.

10-01-2012, 6:45 PM
Paul

You should be able to use either. On my Newing Hall I would select the text then under my engrave settings,fill. That provides a flyout with options for fills.

Hmm, My software doesn't seem to have that capability (although with my self-professed ignorance... :( ) I did cut the plate, and the syllabics came out fairly well, though not as clearly as I would like. I did use Gravoxide to darken the text a bit, but again it could have been darker. The pictures don't really present the syllabics too clearly. Ah well. Thanks, Mike

Chuck Stone
10-01-2012, 7:57 PM
Has anyone tried using the laser to create a font set? Maybe in acrylic? Or is that
a stupid question?

Mark Sipes
10-01-2012, 8:00 PM
The trick here is to type the text in Corel. make sure the text is outlined and fill with black and then export the txt as a .plt . When Corel saves, a dropdown menu will give you the option of how you want to treat the fill. .. .parallel lines or crosshatch and the spacing between lines......

0.010 - .015 works for me with parallel fill.. then import the text as a graphic.

In Newing-Hall you can import the font as a true type and then in the tool parameters tell the job control to clear the lettering with a 0 - 100% overlap of cutter strokes.......

Not sure what Gravograph software can/cannot do.

N/H

Mark Sipes
10-01-2012, 8:03 PM
Chuck are you asking about templates for a manual engraver?????

10-01-2012, 8:16 PM
The trick here is to type the text in Corel. make sure the text is outlined and fill with black and then export the txt as a .plt . When Corel saves, a dropdown menu will give you the option of how you want to treat the fill. .. .parallel lines or crosshatch and the spacing between lines......

0.010 - .015 works for me with parallel fill.. then import the text as a graphic.

In Newing-Hall you can import the font as a true type and then in the tool parameters tell the job control to clear the lettering with a 0 - 100% overlap of cutter strokes.......

Not sure what Gravograph software can/cannot do.

N/H

I'll try that, Mark, and let you know. Many thanks to all.

Ross Moshinsky
10-02-2012, 12:06 AM
You go into the layers screen. Double click on the layer you're using. Change the type of engraving from plotting to fill. Pick your fill options. You'll need to use the WYSIWYRE to make sure the cutter is right.

http://www.gravograph.us/engraving-machines/Engraving_Software.php or www.gravograph.com/video/17-2d_toolpath_by_color.flv

Scroll down to: Engraving Parameters

Mike Null
10-02-2012, 4:43 AM
Paul

It appears that you selected a multi line font for the job. That would preclude your doing a fill.

On the syllabics you might try moving the drawing a couple thousandths to the right or left and re-engraving it.

Chuck Stone
10-02-2012, 9:27 PM
Chuck are you asking about templates for a manual engraver?????

Yep.. it's something I wondered. I haven't used a manual engraver, so I don't know if it won't
work.

Mike Null
10-03-2012, 6:54 AM
Chuck

I have made patterns for my pantograph (when I had one) for logos. I used engravers plastic and made them on the laser then ran them on the pantograph. Results were acceptable but with much care.