PDA

View Full Version : Why do only garden tool files have built-in handles?

Joseph Cardinal
09-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Please excuse me if this sounds silly, but why aren't most files available with built-in handles such as the one pictured bellow?

Of course, if one is filing for hours at a time, rounded handles are more comfortable, but I find the pictured handle perfectly comfortable.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/images/item/Woodworking/Sharpening/62w3230s1.jpg

Gary Herrmann
09-28-2012, 1:17 PM
More useable area, maybe. Hopefully George will be along soon.

Jim Koepke
09-28-2012, 1:36 PM
Having a tang on a file allows the user to install a handle that is to their liking.

Some like a tree branch, champagne cork or corn cob. Others like a fancy turned handle.

There are even some metal handles available that mount a file with bolts.

jtk

ray hampton
09-28-2012, 1:50 PM
storing files flat are impossible IF they are unlucky enough to have a handle attach

Chris Griggs
09-28-2012, 2:14 PM
Depending what one is filing they can where out pretty quickly. The tang is less wasteful then the build in handle. Also, I find a wooden handle much more comfortable.

David Weaver
09-28-2012, 3:16 PM
I like my files stored with their handles on. Less of the file surface touches anything. Any time I've had two files together in a storage area that's not totally dry, the areas in contact are rusted.

glenn bradley
09-28-2012, 3:21 PM
My guess is that you are in the minority in finding that sort of a handle comfortable for any poeriod of use. A few swipes on an axe or a scyth, you bet. 15 to 20 minutes straight on an arched stretcher, no thanks. I would also expect the item pictured to be used wearing gloves which makes perfect sense for outdoor work. I don't wear gloves much at the bench ;-)

Rob Lee
09-28-2012, 3:49 PM
Please excuse me if this sounds silly, but why aren't most files available with built-in handles such as the one pictured bellow?

Of course, if one is filing for hours at a time, rounded handles are more comfortable, but I find the pictured handle perfectly comfortable.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/images/item/Woodworking/Sharpening/62w3230s1.jpg

Geez... "axe not included".... I really hate seeing that....

Gonna make that one disappear!

ray hampton
09-28-2012, 5:57 PM

Did anyone noticed that this file got a HOLE in the tang
are the hole there for hanging the file up or for a dowel thru the handle and tang

ray hampton
09-28-2012, 6:03 PM

that are false advertisement since the axe and file are show together

harry hood
09-28-2012, 6:45 PM
That's a good price for a file and a table.

Joseph Cardinal
09-29-2012, 9:22 AM
I guess I'm the only cheap bastard here :D