PDA

View Full Version : Short Bandsaw Base

Chris Rosenberger
04-15-2005, 4:41 PM
I thought I would share some pictures of a base I made for a Delta 14" bandsaw. My neighbor bought one of our 14" Delta bandsaws after we purchased a Mini Max MM20 bandsaw. There was a condition to the sale. He is confined to a wheelchair, so I had to get the table lowered so he could use it. The standard table height hit him just below his eye level. Pictured are the results.

James Carmichael
04-15-2005, 5:05 PM
Very cool, what's it made of?

I am planning (among a bizillion other shop projects) a new base for my Ridgid bandsaw. I find bandsaws in general too high and would like the table the same height as other shop surfaces. But mainly, I want a more stable base than what it came with (though the 100# bucket of wheelweights helps with that.)

lou sansone
04-15-2005, 5:10 PM
great idea and very nice design. I am sure your neighbour will be more comfortable with this setup.

lou

Alan Turner
04-15-2005, 7:02 PM
Good work for a good purpose. Doess your friend have an Adjust-A-Bench? This is what Geoff Noden first invented it for, if I am not mistaken.

Chris Rosenberger
04-15-2005, 8:03 PM
Very cool, what's it made of?

I am planning (among a bizillion other shop projects) a new base for my Ridgid bandsaw. I find bandsaws in general too high and would like the table the same height as other shop surfaces. But mainly, I want a more stable base than what it came with (though the 100# bucket of wheelweights helps with that.)

The frames & doors are made out of 4/4 poplar. The top is 8/4 poplar. The sides & belt guard are 3/4 poplar plywood.

I had never given the table height of the Delta bands a second thought until we got the Mini Max. I ended up raising the Mini Max 5 inches or 40" high, but that was only so the table would be higher than the jointer that sets behind it. That height is very comfortable. After working at the Mini Max, the Delta seamed very high. I ended up removing the riser on the bottom of the stand & replaced it with a piece of 3/4 plywood. That lowered the Delta to about 42" including the Rockler bandsaw table.

Chris Rosenberger
04-15-2005, 8:07 PM
Good work for a good purpose. Doess your friend have an Adjust-A-Bench? This is what Geoff Noden first invented it for, if I am not mistaken.

Thank You.

No he does not have one of those benches. He has an old oak table he uses for a bench.

Mike Cutler
04-15-2005, 8:45 PM
Chris. Very cool post, on all levels. :)

Don Bergren
04-19-2005, 8:44 PM
Excellent idea! I work from a powered wheelchair and can relate to the need for lowered tool heights. Some years back I bought a Delta 10" band saw that was on an open stand. I had an old roll around low TV stand a family friend had built many years ago that was low enough to mount the saw at a comfortable height for me. I use the saw a lot, and although it's a low end unit it works really well for me. But....

We all know that we all too often buy one tool and later learn it's actually a stepping stone to larger/better version as we progress with our hobby. In this age of seeing more and more closed stand bandsaws on the market I've wondered what my options will be when my trusty 10" saw dies or I upgrade. Open stands aren't too common these days and I worried about a solution. Your solution increases my options and I have noted your design for my own future reference.

Thanks for posting the information. You've taken a load off my mind! For the folks like me who do our woodworking from wheelchairs, solutions like this make a real difference in our tool purchase options.

Thank you for sharing this!

Jerry Clark
04-19-2005, 8:56 PM
Chris it was a nice gesture to create a usable tool for a challenged woodworker! We may be there someday and would also appreciate any assistance.:) :) :) Three smilies for you!

Chris Rosenberger
04-19-2005, 11:19 PM
Thank You Jerry:)

Chris Rosenberger
04-20-2005, 12:23 AM
Excellent idea! I work from a powered wheelchair and can relate to the need for lowered tool heights. Some years back I bought a Delta 10" band saw that was on an open stand. I had an old roll around low TV stand a family friend had built many years ago that was low enough to mount the saw at a comfortable height for me. I use the saw a lot, and although it's a low end unit it works really well for me. But....

We all know that we all too often buy one tool and later learn it's actually a stepping stone to larger/better version as we progress with our hobby. In this age of seeing more and more closed stand bandsaws on the market I've wondered what my options will be when my trusty 10" saw dies or I upgrade. Open stands aren't too common these days and I worried about a solution. Your solution increases my options and I have noted your design for my own future reference.

Thanks for posting the information. You've taken a load off my mind! For the folks like me who do our woodworking from wheelchairs, solutions like this make a real difference in our tool purchase options.

Thank you for sharing this!

Don if you need any other information please let me know.

Bill Lewis
04-20-2005, 12:30 PM
...a usable tool for a challenged woodworker!

As Woodworkers, aren't we all, by definition, "challanged" :)