PDA

View Full Version : Tapered Irons for H & R's

David Turner
09-28-2012, 8:57 AM
I just purchased a half set of iron blanks (18 pcs.) from Tod Herrli and I remember someone in a past thread describing how they tapered their H & R irons. A search came up empty. Would someone detail their process? How much taper is sufficent, 1/16" over the length?

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

george wilson
09-28-2012, 9:09 AM
They are usually a taper from about 1/8" at the blade(or a bit more) to 1/16" at the top end.

David Weaver
09-28-2012, 9:17 AM
That was probably me. I taper mine on a belt sander using a slightly recessed holder and tack the irons in the holder with a couple of drops of CA glue.

I'll see if I can dig up the picture that I scribbled together to describe it. It's more or less a recess the size your largest iron will be, and only a little less than a 16th deep

David Weaver
09-28-2012, 10:19 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=192862&d=1303840911

To the extent that the holder is a good bit wider than the iron on both sides, your work will be more accurate.

The tapering isn't an issue of precision accuracy, though, you just want to do a reasonably good job and have a good fit with the wedge. Apply pressure toward the tang edge with the whole setup on a belt sander until you've removed a little bit of material from the tang down to the face of the iron (but none from the cutting edge area, of course).

Certainly you want to do this before you harden the iron, or you'll chance running the temper out of the cutting edge. The tang end will get very hot.

David Turner
09-28-2012, 12:03 PM
George and David: Thank You !

David: I remembered the picture the minute I saw the yellow background.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.