PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a laser

Keith E Byrd
09-28-2012, 6:31 AM
I am thinking about getting a laser engraver and curious what kind of experiences you have and what you would recommend. I am just looking to get a simple desktop type machine with minimal investment. My plan is to engrave pens that I make - so fairly low volume! Thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

Mike Null
09-28-2012, 6:46 AM
Keith

There are dozens of threads and more opinions than that. I would do a search on SMC which will provide a weekend worth of reading.

For names, intials etc. you won't need a rotary device.

Chuck Stone
09-28-2012, 5:00 PM
I would recommend the rotary for pens. You can often tell by looking
at the engraved pens whether or not they used a rotary. (line spacing,
focus etc.) If it is single line only, and a small font, you can get away
without it. BUT if you ever want to take on other people's pen work to
help defray the cost of the machine, you'd do well to get the rotary
attachment. Messing up your own pens is one thing.. but taking on
work from others can be nerve wracking. I engraved some pens for
the Curtiss Museum that were made from the wing struts of two
historic planes (Hudson Flyer was one, I forget the other) and the
power browned out in the middle of one of them. I got lucky and
was able to recover, but that's a feeling I don't want to have again!

David Fairfield
09-28-2012, 5:06 PM
What Chuck said. Rotary tools vary widely from maker to maker, some are pretty bad for marking small lightweight objects like pens. So I recommend shopping by rotary tool, you should be able to narrow your options down by process of elimination and get a machine that will augment your work nicely.

Dave

Leigh Costello
09-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Keith, don't do it. Your spare time will disappear, your family will think you are a hermit and your pets will find other homes. Meanwhile, you will be dreaming of things like vector and raster settings and how to make your own laser inlay pens and what else you can engrave and engraving things that probably should not be engraved, like family treasures. hahahaha Like Mike suggested, read the threads here and ask questions - lots of questions can be answered by a Creeker. Good luck! And if you invest in one - have a great time with it!

David Rust
09-29-2012, 1:32 PM
Keith, don't do it. Your spare time will disappear, your family will think you are a hermit and your pets will find other homes. Meanwhile, you will be dreaming of things like vector and raster settings and how to make your own laser inlay pens and what else you can engrave and engraving things that probably should not be engraved, like family treasures...

Leigh... Thanks for the laugh... I needed it today! :D

Leigh Costello
10-01-2012, 11:53 PM
You are most welcome, David!