PDA

View Full Version : Colorado pine bark beetle hollow rough out

Eric Gourieux
09-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Doug Herzberg was kind enough to send me this to try out. I've been wanting to turn some of the pine damaged/killed by the pine bark beetle in Colorado. But, since I live in Indiana, it's hard to justify the trip - yet.

Its 8.5" x 5, roughed turned and soaked with Pentacryl. My experience with pine has been mixed in the past. I've had good luck with Norfolk Island Pine when soaked with Pentacryl. Almost no movement and very rare splitting. (maybe there is a difference between different kinds of pines - I don't know) Doug mentioned that the staining will sometimes turn black. Time will tell what the Pentacryl does with the staining.

The pics look distorted in this post. Not sure why. They really aren't melting

C and C welcome.

Doug Herzberg
09-28-2012, 6:19 AM
That already looks nicer than anything I could have imagined for it. You're off to a great start. Don't know anything about Pentacryl, but hope it works.

Steve Schlumpf
09-28-2012, 7:58 AM
The wood sure has a lot going for it! Really cool color variations and I really like how the growth rings stand out! Looking forward to seeing this once it is finished! Have fun!

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2012, 9:53 AM
Great looking piece Eric. That wood sure has a lot going on and can't wait to see the finished piece.

Eric Gourieux
09-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Thanks, guys. It didn't turn like butter. It turned like melted butter. Nice, soft with lots of curlies.