PDA

View Full Version : First Twice Turned Bowl

Doug Herzberg
09-27-2012, 8:53 PM
With help from many of you, I've been at this a few months now. Last Spring, I started roughing and bagging some blanks for the future. This piece of cottonwood finally got dry and looked like a very warped cone when I took it out of the bag. Since it was so badly warped, I trued it inside and out before thinking about a form. I turned to Raffan again, but instead of copying one piece, I tried to take inspiration from several of his profile drawings. I know most of you don't care for footed bowls and I put a whopper on this one. There's a flat spot, but the blank was so thin at that point, I didn't have much choice. I started there and worked both ways to get what I ended up with.

7-1/4" x 3-1/8" x 3/16." One coat of Watco DO so far. Sorry to post so many photos, but I think this wood is pretty. Your comments will help me improve. Thanks for looking.

Steve Schlumpf
09-27-2012, 9:06 PM
Doug - sure is some pretty wood! If you are going to have a foot - then - (just my opinion) I would hollow out the foot a little just to lessen the bulk. It will also keep the bowl from rocking later on should it ever warp a bit.

Bernie Weishapl
09-27-2012, 9:17 PM
Really nice looking cottonwood Doug. I agree with Steve to hollow the foot some.

Baxter Smith
09-27-2012, 9:41 PM
Pretty wood for sure! Roughing and bagging may be slow to start with, but you should have plenty to keep you busy now!

Kathy Marshall
09-27-2012, 9:49 PM
I agree that's some pretty wood! Nice form and nice bead detail below the rim. The foot is a little big for my tastes, but you're not turning for me. I'm a firm believer in turning to please yourself and there will always be people that like your style :D.

Eric Gourieux
09-27-2012, 10:17 PM
The form, groove detail and rim look great. Never would have guessed this is your first! Well done. It's satisfying to finally be able to finish something you roughed out and dried, isn't it? This won't be the last time that warping determines the final shape, if your experience is like mine has been.

Roger Chandler
09-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Nice work, Doug! The bowl itself is nice........the foot.....out of proportion. I am one who likes a foot on a bowl..........I like the lift. You had some good ideas with this one..........that foot about 1/3rd the height it is, and hollowed out would be really nice.

That is some pretty wood.......very little cotton wood in our area..........I only know of one tree and I think it must be a transplant from out west, so you have some nice stuff to work with. Keep at it my friend......one can watch your progress with every project you post.......:)

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-27-2012, 10:41 PM
That's a real nice go at this twice turned bowl. Be sure to save it for reference a couple years down the road. It's fun to look back at how our skills and tastes change. You start with a Raffan looking design and grow into a Doug Herzberg signature look. Good advice about making the bottom concave a bit. By the next finished bowl you'll probably be making your bottoms fancy and beaded. Don't forget to sign and date it. What method did you use to hold it on the lathe to finish the bottom of the foot?
faust

Doug Herzberg
09-27-2012, 11:09 PM
What method did you use to hold it on the lathe to finish the bottom of the foot?
faust

Faust, I haven't reversed it yet. I just parted it off with a slim parting tool, cutting it concave as I parted. I carved off the 1/4" nib the parting tool left and sanded. Although the foot looked okay sideways, I agree with Roger that it's way too tall. I may reverse it and shorten the foot and hollow it while I'm there. I usually make a jamb chuck for that. Didn't know I was supposed to hollow the foot.

Waiting six months made me a lot more careful about my cuts. Can't just run out to the wood pile and get another if you slip.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Thom Sturgill
09-28-2012, 6:56 AM
Beautiful wood as you said. I agree that as it is the foot is too tall. If you are up to it, you might hollow the foot and then carve it into separate feet. That would keep the lift and remove the visual weight.

Michelle Rich
09-28-2012, 7:03 AM
The wood is spectacular & worth all the photos. Thanks for sharing your first!