PDA

View Full Version : I need a spinny thing - for making drink coasters

Mike vonBuelow
09-27-2012, 7:41 PM
Hello Turners,

Laser-head here, looking for something I can buy to spin wood for making coasters - but, with a slight twist (pun NOT intended) - and if its worth it, and if such a thing exists.

All I have is BASIC powertools - Ryobi table saw, central machinery drill press and belt sander, old craftsman scroll saw.... basically wanna-be-business start-up stuff... and my little laser beam maker.

Right now I cut a circle using my laser (so it's perfectly round) then grind away using my disc/belt sander - but I keep getting out of round. :(

Thoughts? Suggestions? Just get a basic lathe and learn to use it? Hire out?

Option #2 is to buy some 1/4 hardwood stock online and just have the coasters be laser cut, sand off any char, and finish.

Thanks in advance!

Mike vonBuelow
09-27-2012, 7:53 PM
...there's this on my local CL for $125

Rick Markham
09-27-2012, 8:58 PM
A lathe is a great way to make things round and keep them round :) as for the one on your local CL, I can't make a comment as I have no clue as to that particular one. You can go from several hundreds of dollars in a lathe to several thousand. I'm sure there will be others along shortly to set the hook... errr I mean comment :D Don't be afraid, the water is nice and warm in the vortex (and deep) and supposedly there are cookies... though I haven't received mine yet...

Welcome Mike! I look forward to seeing your coasters (and everything else that you will be making.) Oh, and don't mind the people who tell you to run while you still can (they didn't :D)

Marvin Hasenak
09-28-2012, 12:30 AM
I would skip that lathe unless I had a boat and needed an anchor for the boat. Homier Distributing tools are like Harbor Freight, I let someone else buy them. I checked the OKC Craigslist, there is a good lathe, the Nova Mini with tools for $375 is the best deal I saw. Keep an eye out, I have seen some pretty good deals on lathes in the OKC CRaigslist. Wish I was closer I would have bought one last month, an older Rockwell gap bed lathe for $300 with all kinds of accessories.

Andrew Kertesz
09-28-2012, 5:41 AM
If your disc/belt sander has a table and miter slot you could always make a jig similar to a circle cutting jig for a band saw. If you have the center of the circle referenced and mount on a pin it will remain a constant distance from the sanding surface. Unless of course you are looking for an excuse to get sucked into the vortex...:D

Roger Chandler
09-28-2012, 7:31 AM
At minimum, I would still purchase a quality tool..........quality tools will make you glad you got them and pay for themselves in a little time. This is a good midi lathe and of good quality..........some of our turners here have this. Grizzly G0658.

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/g0658.jpg