PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley BU blade dimensions? Altering PMV11 blades?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
09-27-2012, 6:06 PM
I'm still tempted to order one of the new LV PMV11 blades, the 2" blade for the "Low Angle Smooth Plane", and try and grind a notch into it, to make it fit my Lie Nielsen bevel up jack. If I can't make that work, I guess I'll have an extra blade as an excuse to build a plane or buy something new from LV.

I sent an email to LV looking for info, but I think they misunderstood me, because they weren't able to help because they couldn't find info on the Lie Nielsen blade, although they were very understanding.

I'll try and send another note to them, but in the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone here knows the width and length of the slot in the blades for these planes? (and maybe how far from the cutting edge) From photos, it appears all the LV BU planes have the same size and location of slot, which would make sense. Knowing where the holes for the Norris adjuster are (so I know whether they'd interfere) might also be helpful.

While I'm pestering all of you, any input on how to best put a slot (doesn't need to be through - just a shallow one like the back of a block plane) into the PMV11 material? I'm assuming if the blade can be ground on a bench grinder, a grinding wheel in a rotary tool would work - I could make a jig to hold the plane and use an appropriately sized grinding wheel for the width. Perhaps this would be a job better suited to take to a machine shop?

If the slots aren't going to work, I'd probably scrap this whole idea, machining those wide is beyond what I feel comfortable dealing with.

If I go forward on this, I'll keep folks posted.

I suppose the other option would be to try removing the depth adjuster and using this blade sans depth wheel, but I'm not sure how well the Lie Nielsen plane would resist backlash without the depth adjuster.

Peter Pedisich
09-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Joshua, sent you a pm... -pete