PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some tips on a project

Adam Heller
04-15-2005, 4:00 PM
Greetings all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am in awe of all the knowledge shared here and I am looking for some tips on something I will be working on this weekend. I have poured over the archives and found a few answers to questions I had, but they also spawned more questions, so I figured I would ask everything here.

I will be building a TV stand this weekend out of MDF. This is for a friend and patterned after one I built for myself a few years back. The piece is basically a rectangular box, with a slightly larger length and width than the TV, with a shelf in the middle and wheel casters bolted to the bottom of it. I did no finishing on it and left the screw holes exposed (no spackling). Also, I used the tried and true "glue and screw" method of assembly. Since this is for someone else, I would like to examine the methods I used previously and (hopefully) built a better one this time around.

The piece is 24 inches deep. When I assembled my last one, I put a line of glue across the edge and put 5 screws down the side, one 2 inches from each edge and 3 between them. Is this overkill? Does someone have some sort of theory about how many screws to use or how much space to leave between screws (every 3 inches? 4 inches?). How close is too close to the edge?

When spackling the screw holes, what do people commonly use? Is any spackle as good as any other? When dried, sanded and primed, will they still be noticeable?

When finishing the final piece (sealing the edges as well), what do people commonly use for MDF? I have read some posts suggesting dewaxed shellac. Finishing is something I have virtually no experience with. I am just looking for smooth edges and would like to prep it for painting. Any recommendations for primer?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Adam

Mike Cutler
04-15-2005, 9:17 PM
Adam. I can't help you with all your questions, but I certainley want to welcome you to Sawmill Creek.
As for the number of screws, I learned a long time ago that a screw was a cheap disposable clamp. I'd personally use a few more for that screw/glue line. I'm kinda anal though.
I'd use a white epoxy filler for the screw holes. Something like "Quick Wood". Todd Burch does a fair bit of MDF work, hopefully he'll be a able to suggest something.
I'm not sure what to use for the edges tho' MDF gets kinda furry on the edges.
If none of this helps that's okay. Most importantly. Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

Ted Calver
04-15-2005, 9:36 PM
Adam,
Welcome to the Creek.
I don't have a lot of experience with mdf, but the little that I have had makes me leery of counting on screws into the edge holding well. The few jigs I've put together make me think MDF splits easily and am wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to also glue a thin strip under the edge where the two boards meet as a ledge to reinforce the joint.
Good luck and take some pics of your results!
Ted

lou sansone
04-15-2005, 10:20 PM
Adam

welcome to the creek. Sorry, but I also can't really help with the mdf question. You might find info from those who actually make MDF. Just a thought
best wishes
lou

Corey Hallagan
04-15-2005, 10:30 PM
Welcome to the Creek Adam. I have used MDF several times. It is very heavy in 3/4 form and can be a bugger to handle in the shop. Be sure you use plenty of bracing for the TV stand, if it has a long span the weight of a TV can cause it to sag pretty good.

Corey

Doug Shepard
04-15-2005, 10:31 PM
Aside from the screwing issue, my first thought was about the weight. My 32" TV takes 2 people to lift and I'd think MDF wouldn't be strong enough. I really don't know for sure. There's a good calculator for figuring out how much weight your unit will support. Just plug in your shelf dimensions and see if it will support what you intend to put on it.
http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm

Todd Burch
04-15-2005, 11:09 PM
Adam, post a picture or a drawing of your the TV stand you will be making. After seeing it, perhaps I can make a suggestion or two.

Dan Forman
04-16-2005, 3:44 AM
No advice to offer, but will be watching for what Todd has to say. Just wanted to welcome you to the creek, a wonderful fount of information.

Dan

Ken Fitzgerald
04-16-2005, 8:31 AM
Adam.. ...Welcome to the Creek! Haven't worked with MDF so I can't answer your questions. Again.......Welcome!

Jeff Sudmeier
04-16-2005, 9:57 AM
Adam, Another welcome to the creek! You have joined a GREAT forum, full of wonderful people.

Have fun working on your TV stand and be sure to post pics of the completed project!

Once again welcome to the creek, I truely hope you enjoy your time here!

Jim Becker
04-16-2005, 10:04 AM
I don't have a lot of experience with mdf, but the little that I have had makes me leery of counting on screws into the edge holding well.

It's important to use the right kind of screws with this material for furniture when going into edges...Conformat screws are designed for this and don't split out. They require a special drill bit and are quite large in diameter. But they work and work well.

JayStPeter
04-16-2005, 11:12 AM
You may want to consider pocket hole screws. You can hide them inside and underneath of the stand. They don't split out in MDF as easily as a screw into the edge.
You can buy a basic pocket hole guide and bit for around $20 at Lowes (or Amazon). Add a pack of pocket hole screws and you're all set. Kreg also sells plugs to plug the holes, but they may not be necessary with some forethough to where you put them.
I've used bondo on MDF to pretty good results when painting. If you countersink your screws too deep, the bondo will eventually crack away enough to leave a ring. So, just be careful to countersink lightly.

Jay