PDA

View Full Version : Orb from Mike Cruz maple

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Some time ago Mike Cruz sent me a sweet little piece of Ambrosia Maple. I turned a sphere quite thin and delicate through a 5/8" entry hole without blowing it up. I've had that fate before when trying to go too thin through a small entry. The shape changed as the sphere dried and is now an orb but the wood is still very pretty. The bit of thickness at the bottom keeps the entry hole looking up since the bottom is a continuation of the shape. My little grandson keeps trying to grab this one for a ball. That is one of the few things I've denied him so far. We're allowed to spoil them, aren't we?

Tony De Masi
09-27-2012, 3:13 PM
Geesh Butch, you really have been holding out on us. And I recognize that wood too. I think I still have about 700lbs of it.

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-27-2012, 6:34 PM
Hey Tony,
How good to hear from you. You've been busy too long. I'll bet Cruzer loaded you up with the Ambrosia. Sweet wood.
faust (butch)

Jerry Marcantel
09-27-2012, 7:18 PM
Nice looking piece, Faust... I can see those 3 beetle holes someone said indicates the Ambrosia Beetle........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Steve Schlumpf
09-27-2012, 9:15 PM
Man - you have been busy lately! Nice form! Love the wood!!

Baxter Smith
09-27-2012, 9:42 PM
Great looking wood and a neat form Faust!

Kathy Marshall
09-27-2012, 9:54 PM
Great looking piece Faust! Neat chunk of wood with some nice ambrosia markings!

Michelle Rich
09-28-2012, 7:10 AM
now that is a tiny hollowing hole. Amazing work with the hollowers. Nicely marked ambrosia too.

Mike Cruz
09-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Faust, you did that piece proud! Thanks for posting pics of it. I lose track of what I sent to whom. FYI, I didn't "sell" Faust the wood. I just sent it to him (with his permisson, of course). It was a "cut off" piece. He's by no means the only one I've sent wood to, but I can't keep track of everyone I've sent boxes out to. So, I really appreciate you posting the pics...

Bernie Weishapl
09-29-2012, 12:44 AM
Wow that is a beauty and such a small hollowing hole.