PDA

View Full Version : Big Leaf Maple Calabash

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-27-2012, 12:02 PM
I haven't posted any work in a while mostly because I was having difficulty photographing the glossy finishes I prefer. With the help of tutorial written by John Lucas concerning exactly that topic, I was able to set my lighting in a way that produced decent photographs. Now I have a few items to show off that technique. This one is a dyed Big Leaf Maple calabash. The bowl is about 9" in diameter and the flame and eyes are quite striking. I had to deal with a loose know and wasn't willing to lose the depth of the bowl so I secured it with blackened epoxy. I used a blood red alcohol based stain as a base color, sanded it back and over dyed with yellow water based dye. Using water over alcohol kept the colors from running together. The finish is about 8 coats of precat acrylic lacquer leveled between coats. Final sanding began at 500 grit through 4000 grit abralon pads. The inside is left natural color and was sanded back to only 1000 grit to leave a satin finish.

Roger Chandler
09-27-2012, 12:36 PM
That is a pretty piece, Faust......super nice finish as well.

Doug Herzberg
09-27-2012, 1:24 PM
I like everything about this one, Faust. The form, the dye, the fabulous gloss finish. I worried about the knot, but it sounds like you took care of it. Beautiful.

Marty Eargle
09-27-2012, 1:31 PM
Easily one of my favorite woods...and this is a great use of it. I'm a big fan of the classic calabash, and the dye job really sets this apart. And a great finish too!

Thanks for sharing.

Prashun Patel
09-27-2012, 2:38 PM
Really beautiful. Few calabashes feel right to me. But I think the color and finish is what steals the show on this. Just perfect.

Tony De Masi
09-27-2012, 3:05 PM
That's a real pretty piece Butch. I also like the way you inverted the rim on this too. Very cool indeed. And how about a link to that John Lucas tutorial?

Steve Schlumpf
09-27-2012, 3:50 PM
That's a knockout! Love the way the dye gives the piece a 3D effect! Cool idea of keeping the inside natural - nice contrast!

Congrats on getting today's WOW cover honors! Well deserved!

Darren Jamieson
09-27-2012, 4:19 PM
I must agree with everything siad, I really like the shine and dye, fantastic work!

Harry Robinette
09-27-2012, 8:05 PM
Everyone has said it all, Fabulous work and beautiful wood. I love the form of the Calabash bowl.

John W Dixon
09-27-2012, 9:30 PM
Wow that is a nice one. Love it!

Bernie Weishapl
09-27-2012, 9:32 PM
Faust that is one nice bowl. Love the wood.

Baxter Smith
09-27-2012, 9:34 PM
The form is great and the color is stunning! Great job Faust!

Kathy Marshall
09-27-2012, 9:40 PM
Beautiful piece Faust! Some really nice figure in the wood and the great dye job and finish really make it pop.

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks one and all for the nice comments. Steve, I hadn't looked at WOW since I posted and didn't know they thought enough of this bowl to give it the cover for a day. That's quite a treat for me. Thanks for mentioning it.
faust

Bob Bergstrom
09-27-2012, 11:32 PM
The dye job puts the beautiful wood up another level. Love then finish and photo work.

Rick Markham
09-28-2012, 6:42 AM
This is a fantastic bowl Faust! The form is perfect, as well as the color! The depth of color is striking. Gotta love BLM. Good job on keeping the glare down on the finish too, it's something I struggle with photographing my pieces too. (Kinda takes the fun out it, sometimes.) Color on color... me thinks you are onto something ;)

Michelle Rich
09-28-2012, 7:00 AM
The dye/finish puts this over the top. ( I am not sure about the black..but what else would have saved the piece?)