PDA

View Full Version : Advice on How to buy a Stationary Compressor - looking for value

Doug Herzberg
09-27-2012, 10:27 AM
I was ready to bite on the HF Model 93274 60 gallon, 165 psi, 5hp, 15.8 cfm @90 psi stationary compressor, currently on sale for $799.00, when the cashier informed me of the fine print on my 20% off coupon, which says it doesn't apply to, among other things, compressors. Having done my online comparisons based on an assumed price of $640 and having convinced myself it was a steal, I balked and am now reconsidering. The sale ends September 29, but other than that, I'm in no hurry and they have sales all the time at HF.

Unlike most things at HF, I have heard that this item is made in the USA by a company which manufactures a brand name compressor. Don't know if that's true. The 5 hp, 220v single phase motor is an AO Smith, assembled in Mexico, and the pump itself is stamped "Made in EU." I don't know if that means "Estados Unitas" or "European Union," but either way it sounds better to me than "Made in China."

While on one of my shopping comparison trips, I heard another HF customer say to his friend, "If you're going to spend that much on a compressor, don't buy it here, talk to my compressor guy." Judging by their shopping basket, I'm guessing they're roofers, so they may have been talking about a different compressor. I should have admitted to eavesdropping and asked for a referral, but I'm shy. I looked online for local suppliers, but didn't find much.

I want the 15.8 cfm for grinders, sanders and occasionally for an impact wrench. Everything on Amazon with this much air flow was over $1,000. Given that and that my objective is value, should I go back to HF and pay the $800, or keep looking? How would a local business selling stationary compressors describe itself so it could be found on Google?

Thanks for your help and advice.

John Cooper2
09-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Keep an eye on Craigslist, I found a 80gal 2 stage monster for $200 in near new condition. Will have another $200.00 in piping and wiring by the time I am done, but very happy.

Doug Herzberg
09-27-2012, 1:20 PM
I've looked on CL, but so far most people know what they have or they're trying to sell for almost full retail, even though their machine "needs motor" or "needs pump." Did you worry at all about whether the prior owner maintained the tank properly? Is there any way to check the condition of a tank which may not have been drained routinely?

Congratulations on your steal. I'll keep looking.

Jim Neeley
09-28-2012, 3:01 AM
Not directly, Doug, that I know of.. but something I'd recommend is to check the oil.. feel it for grit.. see if it is clean. If it's "new" I'd be a little suspicious but even more so if it was dirty or gritty or had water in it.

Carl Beckett
09-28-2012, 8:59 AM
I would also recommend staying with the CL option.

Try searchtempest Doug (if its still working.. CL was trying to disable search engines so not sure its still valid). You can search within a radius of your location.

Doug Herzberg
09-28-2012, 9:53 AM
For some reason, I didn't check the BORGs. HD, where I usually shop, didn't have much, but Lowe's has their Kobalt 5hp 80 gal with better specs than HF and 3 yr warranty instead of 90 days for about the same price. Looks like it's made by Campbell Hausfeld. Glad I didn't give my $ to HF this time. Lowes also sells Ingersoll Rand in home shop sizes.

Everything on my local CL so far is too big or not big enough. still, no hurry.

Larry Browning
09-28-2012, 3:12 PM
Go with the IR if you can possibly afford it. Much better compressor. I bought mine at Grainger, their prices are more competitive than you might think. I was able to get a discount through my employer too.

Jerome Stanek
09-28-2012, 4:40 PM
Our compressor guy says that IR makes more than one line of compressors. Some have cheap Chinese motors and lower quality parts. check to see if there are any auto body shops going out of business

David Kumm
09-28-2012, 4:53 PM
60-80 gal compressors come in basically three versions. $1300 or less will have foreign pumps, motors, and cheaper valves. $1600-2000 get better cast iron pumps- some US, some not with Baldor or Leeson type motors, and better valves- I forget the name of them and splash lubrication. $2300-2700 are pressure lubed and will have an oil filter like a car. I bought a used Kellog American from a compressor place for $800 delivered that had been rebuilt and was told that the cheap version of the Curtis, Champion, Quincy etc was a good value if you bought new and used it for a bunch of years and threw it away. If buying used look for the middle version with the better rebuildable pump in the $800-1000 range. Dave

Doug Herzberg
09-29-2012, 9:06 AM
Thanks David, Jerome and Larry! That's good information. Unfortunately, if it goes over $1,000, it probably won't happen. Also, I have to stick with a single phase motor, so a lot of the used commercial options are out. I have an account at Grainger, so I'll take a look online at what they're offering.

I went by Lowe's and looked at the 80 gallon. The tank is a heavier gauge steel than the 60 gal HF, but the motor is a brand I haven't heard of and the pump is much smaller than the HF and has no indication of origin. It does say it's approved by Campbell Hausfeld or words to that effect. As for the three year warranty, after the first year it excludes the motor, everything attached to the compressor and excessive oil use by the pump so, in effect, the tank has a three year warranty. Still, Lowe's customer service has been excellent in the past in other departments, so I haven't ruled it out.

Although I'm looking for a lot of air flow, I don't expect this machine to see a lot of use. Besides occasional sanding and grinding and tire rotations, it will mainly be used to power pneumatic nailers and blow guns. I'm just tired of listening to the compressor recycle for 3 minutes every time I use a grinder for 20 seconds.

Doug Herzberg
09-29-2012, 9:21 AM
Wow! Lots to see at Grainger. Thanks again. Maybe I'll save my pennies, since I don't need this right away.

John Lifer
09-29-2012, 2:19 PM
Decent model at my HD, Husky brand, 60 gallon only 11.5cfm @90, but only $459. Would jump on this over a HF brand anytime. 2yr warranty. Good luck!

David Kumm
09-29-2012, 2:32 PM
Decent model at my HD, Husky brand, 60 gallon only 11.5cfm @90, but only $459. Would jump on this over a HF brand anytime. 2yr warranty. Good luck!

Real close to marginal for sanding though. If you can find the pump rpm the slower the better. Most lower end compressors run an aluminum head at a fast rpm to beef up the cfm. Great short term option though while you watch for a used close by. There are lots of 5 hp single phase compressors out there but you need time to find one close. Dave

Larry Browning
09-29-2012, 5:38 PM
If you have a Tractor Supply in your area, I think they carry the consumer version of the IR compressor. Also, Northern Tool is a good store. I would really try to avoid the CH brand. They have a pretty bad reputation.

Bruce Wrenn
09-29-2012, 8:57 PM
If you go the Lowes / HD route, stop by the post office and pick up a moving kit. There is a 10% off coupon from Lowes in there (check the expiration date,) which either will honor. Used one of the Lowes coupons at HD yesterday.

Rick Fisher
09-30-2012, 1:23 AM
Good rule of thumb with compressors is to ignore the retail spec's .. There are two CFM statistics. CFM and delivered CFM .. The delivered CFM is usually 25% lower and is the real number .. Some of the more "retail" sellers only provide the pump CFM ..

Most Piston compressors are rated for 50% duty cycle . If the pump speed is over 800 - 850 .. it should be okay for 50% duty .. under and it can be considered 80% duty cycle. That is for Cast Iron pumps.. Not sure about Aluminium pumps .. The enemy of compressor pumps is heat, Cast Iron is far superior, but more expensive than Aluminium ..

US suppliers of pumps are pretty scarce now .. Jenny, Champion, Quincy, Salor Beall.. All US made, high quality and expensive .. ( not sure about Curtis ) ..

If your under $1000 I would look for a good used one rather than a cheaper new one .. having said that, depends on how much use its going to get ..

Also .. they are loud .. All of them .. Higher the pump speed, the louder it could be .. Brace yourself, I was freaked out by how loud mine was until I got used to it..

When I was shopping, I looked at the actual spec's for almost every brand.. The cheap IR compressor is exactly that .. its a cheap IR compressor .. Nothing wrong with it but it could just as easily be painted any other colour ..

With compressors, the HP is a big part of how they deliver the air .. Jenny has great examples.. A 100 lb Cast Iron pump will be belted to a 3hp motor and run at 550 RPM .. That will deliver approx 11cfm .. They will take the same pump and strap it to a 5hp motor, then run the pump at 800 CFM .. That set up will deliver 16CFM .. Then they can take the same pump and get 21 CFM with a 7.5hp motor at 1100 RPM ..

So 3 different compressors, all the same pump .. The 3hp version may only have a 60 gal tank.. It will be quieter and run forever because the pump never works very hard and doesn't develop as much heat ..

Put a 120 gallon tank on that 3hp version, the pump will get much warmer because it will take 20 minutes of running to fill the tank ..

Take the 7.5hp version and put it on a 60 gallon tank, and sure the pump is running hard, but its for only a few minutes because the job is small ..

Its all about the setup ..

Jerome Stanek
09-30-2012, 7:18 AM
Here in Ohio we have Giant Eagle grocery stores that have their own gas station. If you buy $50 worth of st etuff you get 10 cents off a gallon of gas up to 35 gallons. I go in and buy HD or Lowes gift cards and get my gas discount so if you would buy $900 worth of gift cards you would $1.80 off each gallon and they take credit cards.

ryan boyce
09-30-2012, 11:32 PM
I only have to say good things about the HF General compressor. I have had this for almost 2 years with the full 4 year extended plan. I bought mine from a local store in NJ and had gotten a 20% discount, a manager overide discount of another $100 and the compressor was already at $150 off retail. The cost to me was $500.
Now, I may have lucked out with that price but honestly I would have paid full retail. I have a copper 1/2" system with 4 outlets over a span of 60 feet at the longest run of pipe. I can use any tool at any station and the compressor does not bog down.
Originally, during purchase, I passed up a refurbished compressor because I saw drips down the side of the tank. Whatever you do do NOT buy refurbished from HF.

Doug Herzberg
10-01-2012, 9:01 AM
Ryan, you're not alone. Most of the reviewers on HF's site are happy with the machine. Given the negative reviews on some products which appear there, I think it's an honest forum. The Kobalt reviewers on Lowe's forum were much more negative about that machine, especially the pump.

Rick, thanks for that explanation. It makes a lot of sense. I took your advice, sort of. I found a DeVilbiss 80 gallon on CL and bought it. It's old and it has an aluminum pump, but it seems to be in pretty good shape. A little surface rust on the outside of the tank at the bottom - I looked at that very closely. Got it home and wired it up. It pumps from 0 to 165 in about nine minutes and it's very quiet compared to the little Speedaire on my current shop compressor. The pressure drops off to about 150 and holds there for at least 24 hours.

I know it could be a BIG LIE, but the seller says he bought it new and used it infrequently in his home shop. My job site compressor is a 5 hp 20 gallon DeVilbiss which has served me well for many years with no trouble, so I'll admit a little prejudice in favor of the brand. I'm not going to call it a gloat because I paid a good price for it, more than I should have, but I got more than I was looking for and stayed well within my budget.

Many thanks to all who chimed in. Your comments were extremely helpful.

Hear are the obligatory photos:

Larry Browning
10-01-2012, 10:03 AM
I'll bet you will be really happy with that unit. Make sure you have a convenient way of draining the water from the tank. I replaced the pitcock valve on the bottom of mine with a 1/4 inch elbow, pipe and a valve I could easily reach.

Doug Herzberg
10-01-2012, 11:24 AM
I'll bet you will be really happy with that unit. Make sure you have a convenient way of draining the water from the tank. I replaced the pitcock valve on the bottom of mine with a 1/4 inch elbow, pipe and a valve I could easily reach.

Thanks, Larry. I hope it's a good one. I was planning to add a drain pipe and increase the drain pipe size to create a reservoir before the drain valve. The thought was that any water accumulating would do so in the cheap pipe, instead of the expensive tank. Will still drain regularly, but I'm old - sometimes I forget things. I think an autodrain would have to be a solenoid type - the pressure types (like HF) don't seem to be rated over 100 psi.