PDA

View Full Version : what was for a planer bed

Paul Sikorski
09-26-2012, 2:02 PM
Im setting up a new planer and not sure what to use on the bed. I use that top coat spray on my table saw and put it on the bed for my planer but I don't like the result on my planer bed. Was thinking of just grabbing some turtle wax. What do you guys use on your machines?

Mark Leu
09-26-2012, 2:04 PM
Johnson's Paste Wax. I would not recommend using turtle wax, there are components in automotive type waxes that can cause problems with your finishes.

Paul Sikorski
09-26-2012, 2:07 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Ill grab some today.

Bruce Page
09-26-2012, 4:04 PM
Turtle wax or any automotive wax likely has silicone in it. Silicone can wreak havoc come finishing time.
Johnson's paste wax is safe to use.

John TenEyck
09-26-2012, 4:27 PM
Butcher's Bowling Alley was is harder then Johnson's, and what I've used on my machine tables/beds for a couple of decades now. It buffs up much nicer on furniture, too.

Paul Sikorski
09-26-2012, 8:06 PM
Thanks Guys, John where did you get the Butcher's ?? I grabbed some Johnson's so I could buff it out tonight. But hey Im not married to the stuff (yet)

John TenEyck
09-26-2012, 9:11 PM
Thanks Guys, John where did you get the Butcher's ?? I grabbed some Johnson's so I could buff it out tonight. But hey Im not married to the stuff (yet)

I bought it at the Niagara Falls HD. I suspect you can find it pretty easily in Buffalo. If not, come on up to NF; be happy to show you my shop (in Lewiston) if you have an interest.

John