PDA

View Full Version : Outline Font

Jeff Belany
09-26-2012, 1:19 PM
I may be looking for something that doesn't exist but I seem to recall a program way back in my past that could take some type and add an outline to it. Just looked at a ton of YouTube vids but none do what I want. So what I want is the black type with a thin line around each letter just like typical outline fonts you see around. Unfortunately the font I need does not come as an outline font.

There are specialty programs that make some real cool effects but they all seem to be geared to making logos and almost all generate color art. I need B&W art that I can laser on wood.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

matthew knott
09-26-2012, 1:45 PM
You can do it in corel, type you texts, set the thickness of the line you want, convert it to curves, then convert outline to object. Or maybe just turning the fill off would work for you.

Jeff Belany
09-26-2012, 2:01 PM
Maybe I didn't say it right. I know how to make a simple outline type. What I want is to keep the font in black and make a fine line around each letter. Hope that sounds right.

matthew knott
09-26-2012, 2:04 PM
not sure exacty what you mean, can you show an example?

Jeff Belany
09-26-2012, 2:26 PM
This is what I want. Probably wrong terminology.

Jeff

Mark Sipes
09-26-2012, 2:46 PM
Create Text. Add outline or Widen Outline to twice your desired "Border" line, change color for ease to see changes...Convert outline to object.. Break apart Select inside outline and delete. select outside outline and undo fill... done

Steven Cox
09-26-2012, 3:58 PM
You can do it with the outline tool alone but the contour tool would be better for effect.
1. Type the Text
2. This next step will create the white space needed between the text & outline. With text selected, select the Contour Tool. From the Options Select Outside, Steps = 1, and play with the Contour Offset to get the thickness of the outline you need. Note you'll need to play with the colours to see the changes.
3. With the Contour Group selected, select Arrange > Break Appart.
4. Select the the Contour that you just created.
5. Then select the Contour Tool Again, and change the Fill Colour. Then alter the Contour Offset to a lower value than before and adjust to suit your required effect.
6. Break appart the Contour Group again then delete the first contour and you are done.

Hope this helps
Regards Steve.

Mike Null
09-26-2012, 4:15 PM
My way is similar--type the text, outline it in the width you want, contour the result.

Jeff Belany
09-26-2012, 5:00 PM
Thanks for the help. Contour kind of works but the black isn't centered inside the outline. I'll keep playing with it.

Mike Null
09-26-2012, 5:20 PM
Jeff

Try typing the text, duplicate it and outline the front copy then the back one in the width you need.

Martin Boekers
09-26-2012, 5:57 PM
It's a bit more work but you can break it apart after you contour it and move nodes around.

vic casware
09-26-2012, 6:12 PM
I know this won't help
but Signlab does this easily
I think most Sign Generator Software would suit

Steven Cox
09-27-2012, 6:13 AM
Thanks for the help. Contour kind of works but the black isn't centered inside the outline. I'll keep playing with it.

Try converting the Text to curves before applying the contour. That should help with centering because the contouring tool will then be appying to a graphic and not needing to worry about the kerning elements of the text.

Steven Cox
09-27-2012, 6:21 AM
I know this won't help
but Signlab does this easily
I think most Sign Generator Software would suit

I know what you mean, but for those wanting the easy way out there's a sign plugin for CorelDraw called Sign Tools, it also does this effect with ease and best of all Sign Tools is a fraction of the cost of SignLab and doesn't need a dongle!. That said with a bit of playing this effect is easy enough to achieve with Corel's own tools.

Mike Null
09-27-2012, 6:37 AM
Here's a tutorial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4-uFL5u8sw&feature=related

Bill Overturf
09-27-2012, 8:59 AM
one other way is to make 3 layers of your text example. type your text and set your outline to say 8pt hit the + key change the color to white and set your outline at 4pt hit the + key again make it black and give it no outline select all and combine or weld