PDA

View Full Version : Reattaching centers?

Lee Alkureishi
09-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Hi all,

I have a couple of morse taper lathe accessories with the same problem - the head has separated from the morse taper. This has happened with one of my live centres and also my drill chuck. The drill chuck was a cheapie, but the live centre came with my pm90 lathe and looks to be a good one.

What's the best way to reattach these, or are they unfixable? I tried pushing them back on manually, but wasn't able to get them to push on all the way.

Thanks!

Jerry Marcantel
09-26-2012, 3:04 PM
Lee, put the taper into the headstock, bring up your tailstock, start tightening it like you do when you have wood between centers and see if that won't seat both pieces. You have a problem somewhere for that to let go on you...... My 2MT for my drill chuck is a good quality as is the chuck, and when I drilled my first hole, I got a lot of chatter. That loosened the taper and it started spinning in my quill. Now, I'm very leery of any drilling, but haven't had any problems after that....... Jerry (in Tucson)

Lee Alkureishi
09-26-2012, 6:23 PM
Thanks Jerry,

Will give it a go.

Lee

Don McLeod
09-26-2012, 9:01 PM
If it is the chuck separating from a mandrel lets say a JT6 -morse taper 2 and there isn't any burrs or galling in the chuck or on the taper, you can put the chuck in an oven, heat to 120 degree F ( use gloves to remove from oven or you will burn your hand) push the taper back in and let cool. should be as good as or better than new. If it is the morse taper 2 turning in the quill, maybe a good cleaning of the quill taper is required or possibly the taper is too long and is bottoming out before it gets its interference fit.

Lee Alkureishi
09-27-2012, 5:26 PM
Will take another look at it tonight, thanks