PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper Articles

Steve Clarkson
09-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Does anyone have any good ideas for framing a newspaper article?

This company makes them: http://www.thatsgreatnews.com/

200,000 sold at $160 each......not a bad business!

The issues that I see is that newspaper articles vary in size and often are continued on 2 or 3 pages.

Should the original article be framed? Or should a digital version be printed out that can be reformatted in neat columns and rows?

If the original article is clipped out, should it be laminated before being put on a plaque?

Would you even use a plaque? I was thinking of using an inexpensive black plaque, maybe a slide in picture frame made for plaques, and possibly a gold Rowmark nameplate.

Just looking for ideas.......pictures would be great.

Mel Fulks
09-26-2012, 1:39 PM
I've always thought those things are more impressive when it is immediately obvious that the material had been in the newspaper .That usually means seeing papers name in correct type set with " from the April 23 Dogpatch OBserver"or whatever ,in small print above it. In the case of front page headline article it might be a good idea to use the real paper after having it de- acidified by a conservator. In all other cases I would use a copy made from high quality archive paper

Mike Null
09-26-2012, 4:32 PM
I have mine done by the PlaqueSmith Shop in Honeoye Falls, NY. Talk to Mel Davis. 585-624-7330

You send them the clippings and a plan as to how you want them arranged and they will take it from there.

Use my name if you like. I'm a pretty good customer.

Martin Boekers
09-26-2012, 6:08 PM
Newspapers used to yellow after a few years, I remember vaguely that there was a way to treat them so they
don't yellow. Surprizing the actual magazine doesn't offer something like that. Hmmmmmmm .

Steve Clarkson
09-27-2012, 7:43 PM
Thanks Mike........I went to his website and contacted him......his plaques look very nice......and he seems to have pretty reasonable prices. I can see myself using him often.

Steve Clarkson
09-27-2012, 7:48 PM
Actually, now that I'm looking into doing this...........does any know if I will have copyright issues with the newspapers? For example, if I make a plaque using a NY Times article.......do I need permission from the NY Times? Does it matter if I make a plaque using a real clipping from the newspaper verses taking the text of the article and reformatting it so it fits nicely on the plaque?

Mike Null
09-28-2012, 6:56 AM
Steve

I doubt there's an issue as long as you give credit. But it really has more impact if you laminate it in it's original form. I rearrange the article to fit on a plaque but still use the original newspaper--it has authenticity.

Martin Boekers
09-28-2012, 9:57 AM
Many newspapers sell press plates also, you may want to check into that to.