PDA

View Full Version : Leigh GLOAT (or stupidity?)

Mark Valsi
05-03-2003, 12:16 PM
Went out to the WoodWork show at the Pomona Fairgrounds in Los Angeles county.

Lots of good stuff, and a pretty nice crowd for a Friday. I got a small block plane from the Zylss guy, that new kind of dowel system and was feeling pretty good about not spending too much money.

but then, I got hooked into the demos of the LEIGH mortice and tenon jig.

The price was an offer i couldn't refuse. No tax, no shipping and $100 less than the usual price.

So I figured i saved about close to $200 . . .

Can't wait for it to arrive

Mark

David Rose
05-03-2003, 7:25 PM
I'm still just drooling over that thing. The tape and brochure are both almost unreadable due to "overuse".

I have lots of tenons and mortises to do on my next couple of projects. I'm in the habit of "waiting til I have a need" to buy a tool. That kind of reasoning keeps my budget "broke" anyway. ;-)

David

Dave Arbuckle
05-03-2003, 10:28 PM
Hope you love it as much as I do mine, Mark. :)

Dave

Joe Tonich
05-04-2003, 8:15 AM
Is that the M2 attachment for the D4? I was thinking about getting the M&T attachment. If it is, let us know how it is. If not, maybe someone can pitch in about it. Either way, thats a GREAT gloat! :D LEIGH makes an outstanding jig! You'll love it! Congrat's!

Joe

David Rose
05-04-2003, 9:15 PM
Leigh makes a fairly new (year old I think) jig for just mortises and tenons. It uses a router for the cutting. You put their base on your router, insert a plastic insert, clamp and align your board and go to it. They call it the "FMT".

The M2 attachment is suppose to be better at mortises in panels instead of the FMT doing edges and ends of boards.

Owners can explain much better. Lee Valley has a better, more informative ad in their printed catalog than Leigh does.

David