PDA

View Full Version : Tighten that screw!

Philip Duffy
09-26-2012, 5:54 AM
Got a cruel lesson yesterday. My new carbide tip came flying off into the shavings, along with the screw, never to be seen again- -- unless my magnet finds it. I did not check the screw tight before starting to use the tool for the 3rd time. My mistake. Hope I can find both, or find a screw to fit the new cutter. Take heed fellow turners! Philip

Richard Jones
09-26-2012, 6:19 AM
I'm a firm believer that nothing is ever dropped when the floor is clean. Shavings gremlins love to wait for moments like yours, Mr. D, before pouncing. I feel your pain.......

Maybe there should be a Newtonism about this. The likelihood of dropping something small is directly proportional to the amount of shavings on the floor.

Doug Herzberg
09-26-2012, 7:43 AM
I lost the point of my live center like that, making it a permanent cup center. Funny how those magnet rollers will pick up the finest metal shavings and bent nails, but pass right over expensive, hard to replace things.

Bernie Weishapl
09-26-2012, 9:54 AM
Richard is right. Never happens on a clean floor only when you are knee deep in curlies. Dropped a cutter off my hollowing tool never to be found again. I did use a magnet.

Reed Gray
09-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Been there, done that, more than once. Is carbide magnetic????

robo hippy

Ryan Baker
09-26-2012, 9:06 PM
I once dropped an entire MT2 dead center into the shavings. It took me about 45 minutes to find that thing! I couldn't believe it. It's like 4" long and about a half pound of solid black-painted steel. Should have been simple to find. Those deep shavings do mysterious things to parts you drop. Keep searching. Eventually you will find it.

Robert Henrickson
09-26-2012, 10:00 PM
I did you one better. I not only lost an MT2 live center in shavings -- I threw it out with the shavings.

Philip Duffy
09-27-2012, 5:48 AM
No luck finding the carbide and don't want to pay $22/each so I am looking for a less expensive source for carbide cutters for nr. 3. Clues? Philip

Ted Calver
09-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Phil,
I buy from these guys and they have performed well for me.
http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/products/carbide-insert-knives.html

Reed Gray
09-27-2012, 12:47 PM
I lost a chuck in the shavings, at least I lost one in the shop some where, and after cleaning up a couple of times, and I mean really cleaning up, it still hasn't reappeared. I even bought another one, and it still is MIA. Lost one remote for the dust collector as well. That replacement now hangs on a clip on the wall.

robo hippy

Doug Herzberg
09-27-2012, 1:29 PM
I lost a chuck in the shavings, at least I lost one in the shop some where, and after cleaning up a couple of times, and I mean really cleaning up, it still hasn't reappeared. I even bought another one, and it still is MIA. Lost one remote for the dust collector as well. That replacement now hangs on a clip on the wall.

robo hippy

I have a lidded wooden box of chuck accessories which I keep on the floor near the headstock with the chucks lined up on top of the box until I can find a better place. I've had to dig, but I haven't lost anything yet. As for my DC remote, I finally trained myself to put it in the pocket of my shop apron, even if I'm not wearing the apron. It's easier than trying to remember where I used it last.

Philip Duffy
09-27-2012, 2:13 PM
Thanks for all the good advise and suggestions! Carbide is not magnetic but has an insert that is so the force is weak. Still no luck. I will be getting in a supply of screws and cutters very soon. Thanks, Ted, I am on that guy. Phil