PDA

View Full Version : Emu Apple or Owenia Acidula a central highlands desert timber

neil mackay
09-25-2012, 11:06 PM
This particular tree I doubt if its made its way to the USA, pity as its a great wood to turn and finish.
Size is around 6" high 5" dia with 1.5" opening, no finish just buffed, will wax it and buff it later, thought I would show its raw state to give some idea of how good this wood is. Will be adding a oil and wax finish later to give a bit more gloss.

for further info on this tree. http://www.ttit.id.au/treepages/emuapple.htm The sites owner is a friend of mine who has catalogued a huge number of trees from a turners perspective.

Roger Chandler
09-25-2012, 11:11 PM
Nice work, Neil........l like the spiral flutes........that wood is one I have never heard of, but it really looks nice.

Kathy Marshall
09-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Very nice Neil! Pretty wood, great form and I like how you oriented the spirals.

Michelle Rich
09-26-2012, 6:31 AM
WOW! HOLY COW! JEEPERS! it's super.!!! great spirals!

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-26-2012, 8:34 AM
Now that's sweet! Nice design and really clean carving.
faust

Tim Rinehart
09-26-2012, 9:51 AM
Neil, beautiful work with the flow of the spirals. I feel fortunate to have paired with you in our recent WTA swap, I always get folks who stop over commenting on the the carved piece from you. This one looks equally well done, but in person is always better!

Bernie Weishapl
09-26-2012, 9:52 AM
Beauty Neil. Really nice wood and love the spirals.