PDA

View Full Version : PC 7518 collet is junk, I replaced it with a Precision Collet and what a difference.

Bill Huber
09-25-2012, 10:24 PM
I don't know maybe I just got a bad one but the collet on my PC 7518 is just junk. I have to wrap a rag around the bit to install it and then to take it out so I won't cut myself. Even off the router it is hard to get a bit in without wrapping it with a rag.

I did some searching on the net and found PreciseBits, not affiliated with them in any way.

The collet they sell is not that high when you see the collet, $70 and you get a 1/4" and 1/2" collet, the nut the wrench and a small bottle of ColletCare (super light oil). You can also just get a 1/2" collet kit with wrench and the ColletCare for $55.

The PC collet has 4 parts around it to clamp on the bit and the PreciseBits has 8, now right off the bat you can see it is better. The nut uses a spanner wrench which I was not really sure of but after I got it and used it I love it, you slip it on, loosen the collet and it will just stay on the nut if you want it to so you are ready to tighten up the next bit.

I used my Woodpecker Saw Gauge with a digital dial indicator on it to check the run out on both the PC and the PreciseBits collets. I first used the ColletCare to clean both the PC and the PreciseBits collets, the inside of the router shaft and the 1/2" straight bit. The PC had a run out of .003 and the PreciseBits had a run out of .000. One time while checking the PreciseBits I saw the indicator go to .0005 and then cleaned the bit off again and it stayed at .000. I made the check 3 different times and came up with the same on each test.

Installing a bit is a dream, it is smooth and easy, no pushing it just slides it in but it will stop at any point when you let go of the bit. Removing the bit is just as nice, loosen the nut and just lift the bit out.

I will have to say they really have an awesome collet, if you have a PC router I would sure take a look at them.
They sell a collet that is compatible with
Porter-Cable families - 2902, 6302, 690, 690LR, 9690LR, 691, 693, 890, 891, 892, 893, 7518, 7519, 7536, 7537, 7538, 7539, 883799X routers

http://www.precisebits.com/products/equipment/pc_collets_nuts.asp

Peter Quinn
09-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Sounds great Bill. Sorry to hear the OEM was bad, I've used several and own one, never had the slightest problem with any of them. That looks like one well made collet there.

Bill Huber
09-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Sounds great Bill. Sorry to hear the OEM was bad, I've used several and own one, never had the slightest problem with any of them. That looks like one well made collet there.

As I said I just may have got a bad one but with this new one there is no way I would go back to the stock collet.

Dave Zellers
09-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Never had a problem here either.

But I imagine spending $55 for just a collet should be an improvement.

How long did you put up with this problem before you threw up your hands? I have other things that bother me but when I run the ole cost vs benefit analysis I realize putting up with it is not so bad... :cool:

There is a separate line for each of us on that spreadsheet...

Stephen Cherry
09-26-2012, 12:42 AM
I've got one for 1/4 and 1/8. Super precise, and lets the small bits live for a while.

Bill Huber
09-26-2012, 1:06 AM
Never had a problem here either.

But I imagine spending $55 for just a collet should be an improvement.

How long did you put up with this problem before you threw up your hands? I have other things that bother me but when I run the ole cost vs benefit analysis I realize putting up with it is not so bad... :cool:

There is a separate line for each of us on that spreadsheet...

I guess about a month and a half, I started by cutting my fingers two or three times and then started using the rag which helped.

I can put up with a lot but there comes a point and this was it, it was find a better collet or go back to my Bosch 1617 router. I like the 7518 it does a good job on everything I have use it on but that collet was the pits.

John McClanahan
09-26-2012, 8:15 AM
collets is a feature of new PC routers. This router is commonly used on CNC routers. Lots of complaints about the collets. You found the right source for a replacement collet.

John

Jeff Monson
09-26-2012, 8:50 AM
Bill, nothing more frustrating than a bad collet. I've had a couple on air tools, getting a sticky bit out is not any fun. My PC7518 has given me no troubles with the collet so far.

Paul Saffold
09-26-2012, 9:11 AM
I have the same problem with my Dewalt 611 which is the twin of the P-C 450. I called customer service and they sent me a replacement collet. That was a long wait because they were out of stock. The replacement wasn't much better. Now instead of having to hammer a bit out with a dowell I can get it out with "only" a pair of leather gloves. Since I have been trying to do things more neander, it has seen very little use, but I would like to be able to use it without the hassle.

Larry Frank
09-26-2012, 8:00 PM
I have an older 7518 and have not had a problem. The collet that you show looks like a very nice one.

I saw on their website that you need a special wrench for it and wonder if they make an offset wrench as I have my 7518 in a router table.

Larry Edgerton
09-26-2012, 8:27 PM
I have about thirty PC routers but have not had any problems. Most of mine are made before Dewalt screwed up Porter Cable.

Bill. Does the bit have a hard time slipping in the collet when the collet is out of the router? The reason I ask is that when they came out with the newer style collet I had to get used to leaving them looser than when they only had two splits. The four split collets were a big improvement.

The other thing with them is that once the nut is loose you have to go a little farther to make the nut hit the C-Clip and pop the collet loose.

I blame Dewalt, wish they had not aquired PC. Things change though.....

Larry

johnny means
09-26-2012, 9:58 PM
I wonder if those having problems with their collets are properly using the self release feature. This requires that a loosened collet be further loosened until it becomes tight again, at this point the collet is forced out of the shaft which allows it to expand thus releasing the bit.

Bruce Page
09-26-2012, 10:44 PM
I wonder if those having problems with their collets are properly using the self release feature. This requires that a loosened collet be further loosened until it becomes tight again, at this point the collet is forced out of the shaft which allows it to expand thus releasing the bit.

I was wondering the same thing. I have 4 PC routers with the same 1/2" collet. I have never had one stick.

Bill Huber
09-27-2012, 12:49 AM
I have an older 7518 and have not had a problem. The collet that you show looks like a very nice one.

I saw on their website that you need a special wrench for it and wonder if they make an offset wrench as I have my 7518 in a router table.

The wrench is a spanner wrench which is put on the top of the nut, I have the router in a table and but my lift come clear up so I don't need an off set wrench.
You still have to use the normal wrench for the lower nut, the one on the router shaft itself. The spanner goes right on top so there is no need for an off set wrench for the nut.

Bill Huber
09-27-2012, 1:24 AM
I have about thirty PC routers but have not had any problems. Most of mine are made before Dewalt screwed up Porter Cable.

Bill. Does the bit have a hard time slipping in the collet when the collet is out of the router? The reason I ask is that when they came out with the newer style collet I had to get used to leaving them looser than when they only had two splits. The four split collets were a big improvement.

The other thing with them is that once the nut is loose you have to go a little farther to make the nut hit the C-Clip and pop the collet loose.

I blame Dewalt, wish they had not aquired PC. Things change though.....

Larry

The stock collet on this router is the type that it is tight or it is lose, you can take the collet off the router and the bit will still not go in without forcing it.

Now I did find the problem tonight with the collet, it is the snap ring, they used too small of a snap ring. I took the snap right off and then I can put the bit in and out with the collet off the router. The problem here would be with no snap ring you could not pull the collet out of the shaft.
But even if I get the correct snap ring and it worked just fine I would keep the new one, it is that much better.

Bill Huber
09-27-2012, 1:30 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I have 4 PC routers with the same 1/2" collet. I have never had one stick.

In my reply to Larry I told him that I found the problem with the collet, the snap ring is the wrong one, it is just to small. Once I took the snap ring off the bit goes in an out just fine, but that would be a problem getting the collet out of the shaft, I guess I could get the correct size snap ring but then I like the new one so much that I will just keep it and store the other one in the large round file cabinet.

Bill Huber
09-27-2012, 1:36 AM
Here is some picture of the new collet in use, you would not need an offset spanner wrench unless the collet would not come above the table top. You may still need the offset wrench for the lower nut but not the top.
Note that in the second picture the spanner wrench is still on even with the router raised above the table top, that is kind of nice.

Larry Edgerton
09-27-2012, 6:14 AM
I was thinking about that problem last night[insomnia]and pulling the C-Clip was going to be my next suggestion. Most of mine have the C-Clip removed anyway so they are easier to clean. I just give the nut a gentle tap when loosened and they come loose. If one is stuck and will not come loose with a tap something needs some attention.

Glad you figured it out Bill.

Larry

Bill Huber
09-27-2012, 1:59 PM
I was thinking about that problem last night[insomnia]and pulling the C-Clip was going to be my next suggestion. Most of mine have the C-Clip removed anyway so they are easier to clean. I just give the nut a gentle tap when loosened and they come loose. If one is stuck and will not come loose with a tap something needs some attention.

Glad you figured it out Bill.

Larry

Just so I know we are talking about the same thing, my collet had a snap-ring on it not a C-Clip, that my be the problem in that they put the wrong thing on my collet.

The first image is what I had, a snap-ring, the second image is a C-Clip or sometimes called E-ring.

Chris Kowalski
09-27-2012, 2:58 PM
I also replaced my PC7518 collect with the Precision Collet. The stock PC collet has horrible run-out. I tried a replacement from PC and it was even worse!

You don't really notice the run-out problem with small or short bits. But when your bits are tall and heavy, it can become very obvious. I have a 2x2" straight bit with bearing from Freud that is simply unusable with the stock PC collet. The router and table vibrates so much the screws will loosed and the router will fall out of the table. Trying a second stock PC collet did not help, it was actually even worse!
After I got the Precision Collet it is now very smooth. Cuts are noticeably smoother and cleaner with all bits. It was money very well spent.

If you doubt your stock PC collect has unbelievably bad runout, put a tall bit with a bearing on top into it and watch the top bearing as it coasts to a stop.

Chris

Larry Edgerton
09-27-2012, 8:14 PM
With thirty routers I would have to drop $2100 on collets!:D Then I would need a couple of 1/4"......

Bill, you have the right term, I had a brain freeze.

Larry

Bill Huber
09-27-2012, 9:20 PM
With thirty routers I would have to drop $2100 on collets!:D Then I would need a couple of 1/4"......

Bill, you have the right term, I had a brain freeze.

Larry

Just $2100, it would pay for itself in 45 or 50 years......

When I would at Xerox we called C-Clips, Jesus clips.......