PDA

View Full Version : Repair bandsaw blade?

Joe Cowan
09-25-2012, 7:47 PM
I was doing something stupid on my new resaw blade (came with my new Laguna bandsaw) and bent a tooth on the blade. Is this fixable? Where do I send it if so?

Steven Hsieh
09-25-2012, 8:24 PM
Call Laguna and tell them it was an accident. I bet they will send you a new blade or they repair it.

Rick Lizek
09-25-2012, 8:33 PM
So, bend it back! I can't imagine them sending you a new blade over a bent tooth. How did you bend a single tooth? I sharpen the blades to our bandmill and have to check the set on the teeth and it's no big deal to tweak the set on the teeth so is there something special about the blade? Carbide?

David Wong
09-25-2012, 10:18 PM
I bent a tooth on my Laguna Resaw King a while back. The tooth was only bent a fraction of a millimeter, so I was able to use a pair of pliers to bend it back. Have not used the blade much since then.

See http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?181802-Bent-a-tooth-on-my-bandsaw-blade

Joe Cowan
09-26-2012, 6:47 AM
So, bend it back! I can't imagine them sending you a new blade over a bent tooth. How did you bend a single tooth? I sharpen the blades to our bandmill and have to check the set on the teeth and it's no big deal to tweak the set on the teeth so is there something special about the blade? Carbide?

My wife has some decorative logs (actually heart cedar, from a tree I found in the woods) that we use in the fireplace during the summer for looks. I was going to cut off a bump created by an old limb to make the logs stack better and tried to freehand it though the bandsaw. It put the blade in a bind and bent the tooth. The blade actually seems to rock from front to back now as it completed each cycle.

Myk Rian
09-26-2012, 7:27 AM
The blade actually seems to rock from front to back now as it completed each cycle.
Then you have a different issue than just a bent tooth.

Matt Day
09-26-2012, 10:07 AM
I've done something similarly stupid and bent the blade (which you have done it sounds), and learned my lesson. Blade is deemed unusable. I might cut it up and use the steel for marking knives, etc.

Stephen Cherry
09-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Round stuff in a band saw can be scary- I bet almsot everyone has learned that lesson with a bent blade as a reminder.

Joe Cowan
09-26-2012, 12:04 PM
I just spoke to Laguna. A very nice fellow told me to move the blade out slightly, then tighten it up to a 1/8" deflection at the 9 oclock position of the blade in the upper cabinet (just below where the blade leaves the upper wheel. He did not seem to think I had much of a problem other than I now have a weaker blade and will have a rougher cut where the tooth is slightly out of whack.