PDA

View Full Version : Sled, not the tablesaw type

Bill Petersen
09-25-2012, 7:16 PM
I am restoring/rebuilding an old Flexible Flyer type sled for my daughter. I have all the original wood and hardware and the steel parts are still in pretty good shape. The wood is another story and will all need to be replaced. It's not a particularly difficult project but I have no idea as to what species of wood would be best for this. Any suggestions? Also, what would be the best finish to use on this thing that will see lots of snow and ice?

Thanks, Bill

johnny means
09-25-2012, 7:30 PM
I would go with white oak. Durable, strong, and deals well with a little moisture. On a different note, I got my kids a couple of those a few years ago and they turned out to be a terrible disappointment. Seems that here in delaware we just aren't getting the type of weather that supports runner type sledding. Another I'll affect of climate change.

Rod Sheridan
09-25-2012, 7:57 PM
Second vote for white oak or ash.

We also aren't getting much consistently cold weather so a toboggan may be better.........Rod.

Bill Huber
09-25-2012, 10:32 PM
I rebuild one last year, it was a 40 your old one and I used white oak and finished it with some boat varnish I got at a boat show, just got a little can and that was all I needed, 3 coats.
The only problem I have is we never get any snow to try it out in, but it sure looks good.

Bill Petersen
09-26-2012, 8:34 AM
Thanks folks, looks like I'll go with the white oak. The marine varnish should be great looking, too. We have plenty of snow where my daughter is living near Salt Lake City.

Lee Schierer
09-26-2012, 9:10 AM
I think Flexible Flyers originally used Maple, but that doesn't mean that you have to. To use a Flyer, you need hard packed snow, like a well used ski run or snow packed road, preferably without cinders or sand. If you try to use it on fresh fallen snow it just sinks in. Just remember that you don't have brakes and the only way to stop quick is to bail off. DAMHIKT