PDA

View Full Version : Font Embedded but X6 wants to substitute

Martin Boekers
09-25-2012, 5:37 PM
I have a filed Corl Draw with an ebbed fort but Corel wants to substitute?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mike Null
09-25-2012, 6:00 PM
Marty

It is my understanding that X6 doesn't offer the embedding feature. I suspect that's the issue. In any case if you go through your font library and make the embedded font active it should work.

Martin Boekers
09-25-2012, 7:32 PM
Why would they leave something so important out?
I am missing the font in my library (Coronet Normal Italic)

I'll contact the client and get it sent as curves. :(

Thanks

Bill Overturf
09-26-2012, 1:47 PM
Here is one other option that most people never use I'm not even positive most people know about it. In X4 it was called Prepare Service Bureau in X5 it was called Collect for Output no idea what it is called in X6 but I assume its still there. What it does is collects all the files associated with your graphic including font objects bitmaps etc. it even creates a pdf file. This is what I have been asking my customers for when they send me Corel files. If they convert it to curves then realize a word was misspelled we have to wait on them to fix it this way I fix it myself and save time

matthew knott
09-26-2012, 2:01 PM
It drives me nuts with PDF's, we get a file, it displays perfectly in Acrobat, think all is good until we load it into to corel and it wants to swap all the bloody fonts for Arial. Whats anoying is the font or at least the vector information is in the pdf but you cant get it out. Then you have to mess about trying to get the font or get the customer to convert it to curves, we normally get told "the pdf is all we have"
Just found this site V http://new.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/. if it works that would be handy

Mike Null
09-26-2012, 4:22 PM
Bill

I guess after 15 years it's time I learned about this. That's neat. Thanks,

Martin Boekers
09-26-2012, 6:05 PM
That's good,I would have figured embedding it would have done it. I'll remember that for future reference.

Bill Overturf
09-26-2012, 10:50 PM
Here is another trick of the trade that Matthew brought up. So you receive a pdf from a customer and it open fine in your pdf reader. But when you go to import it, it tells you it is missing fonts. Try this download and install Foxit pdf printer and bullzip pdf printer (sometimes one works other times you have to try the other one dont know why). Open your pdf in your reader (I personally like Foxit over Adobe) click on print and pick the foxit or bullzip printer and print. What it does is creates a new pdf file (I always change the file name so I have the original) 9 times out of 10 this will work its very rare I get a pdf that I cant fix using this method. I have even been able to use this method for the dreaded File is Corrupted message.

Gary Hair
09-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Another option is to use Illustrator to flatten the file - works every time!
1. Open Illustrator - don't open the pdf, you'll bring it in to Ill in the next step
2. File>Place - select your pdf
3. Object>Flatten Transparency
4. Make sure the box "convert to outlines" is checked
5. Save
You can then import it into Corel with no problems whatsoever!

Gary

Martin Boekers
09-26-2012, 11:24 PM
They sent a Corel file so PDF things won't work, is there a way to save a file in a different format without opening it up?

Bill Overturf
09-27-2012, 8:24 AM
ok try this not sure if it is in X6 or not but X5 has it. For simplicity reasons create a folder on your desktop and put the cdr in it. In Corel click on tools/Macros/Run Macro. Hit the drop down menu and click on File Converter. Once the file converter opens navigate to your cdr file and try converting it to an eps file. I tried taking an X5 file and converting it back to X4 which they say will work but it never worked for me. But the eps did so give that a try and see if that helps.