PDA

View Full Version : A new battle with an old Nemesis.........

Roger Chandler
09-25-2012, 4:20 PM
I started turning bowls in the late fall of 2008.....only occasionally. Up to that time I had turned a few table legs and some small spindle work........that was why I got my first lathe. This is the 3rd bowl I ever turned....did not finish it back then...........I found out with the abundance of catches and what not, that I did not have the proper tools..........at that time, not even a chuck, or a bowl gouge..........I left it thick because it had a lot of windshake cracks in it, and I was just very frustrated back then.........it has been sitting in my shop all this time.........many times I almost threw it in the wood stove, but just could not bring myself to do it.....thinking .........I might try to fix this someday, even though it is really cracked a lot.

Yesterday I saw it again........last night in my semi-sleep state, it came to my head.......beckoning me to do something with it. The form was pretty creative for a novice turner of bowls, who had no tools except spindle gouge and skew at the time, and well, I found out pretty quickly that I needed different tools to make this form work.

I have since acquired numerous tools for my turning arsenal, and some chucks [and a much better lathe for that matter] The shape required an oland style tool, a gooseneck scraper, and some work with a bowl gouge to get it pretty uniform at 1/4 inch thick.

I have reached my limit with this......even though the finish is not perfect by any means. The many cracks from being a severely windshaken tree, makes me not want to do anything else with it to try to get it better.....it can only go so far in that direction.

It has been one of my nemesis' and even though I was a novice at bowl forms, it still haunted me every time I went to the shop! Today, I returned to the battle, and I feel like I won the victory with this one....:rolleyes::D

This form is 7.5 inches wide and 3.75 tall, and the wood is black walnut. Comments welcome!

Jay Jolliffe
09-25-2012, 5:10 PM
Nice bowl Roger...Walnut looks great. I'm always looking for designs for the future when I get a lot more experience so this one will be going into my to do folder...Hope you don't mind....

Roger Chandler
09-25-2012, 5:16 PM
Nice bowl Roger...Walnut looks great. I'm always looking for designs for the future when I get a lot more experience so this one will be going into my to do folder...Hope you don't mind....

Help yourself, Jay........no doubt, some turner did something very similar before I ever thought of it. I think I got the idea from a brass centerpiece vase I saw in a store ............not sure, but the form is not original to me, anyway. Good luck!

Ed Morgano
09-25-2012, 6:24 PM
Nice job on the form....I really like the shape.

charlie knighton
09-25-2012, 7:32 PM
very nice Roger, nice form

Kathy Marshall
09-25-2012, 8:22 PM
Nice save Roger! Nice form, reminds me of a spitoon on a pedestal.

Allan Ferguson
09-25-2012, 8:46 PM
A great story with this one. Satisfaction achieved.

Bernie Weishapl
09-25-2012, 9:51 PM
Great save and I like the form.

Roger Chandler
09-25-2012, 11:09 PM
Thanks Ed, Kathy, Charlie, Allen and Bernie.......while not perfect.........the current form is about as good as this wood will let it be............I perhaps could finesse the finish a little bit, but with all that windshake cracking........not worth the effort to do any more, I think.

I am pretty satisfied.........thanks all, for taking the time to look and comment!

Rick Markham
09-26-2012, 8:11 AM
Looks like it "turned" out well :D I've had a nemesis or two that required revisiting. None nearly this nice though. Shame about the windshake cracks... Walnut tends to be my nemesis when it comes to cracking!

Michelle Rich
09-26-2012, 9:52 AM
good thing you have a "keep with it" attitude...I've always been pessimistic and go with..if at first you don't suceed, smash it with a hammer!

Roger Chandler
09-26-2012, 10:08 AM
good thing you have a "keep with it" attitude...I've always been pessimistic and go with..if at first you don't suceed, smash it with a hammer!

Michelle! :eek:........:D:D:D! I guess I am one of those that hates to put my effort into something and then have nothing to show for it........there are times when one just has to "let it go" but I felt this one still had some potential if I just would bring it out.

There has probably been a dozen times that I almost threw it in the wood stove........mostly when cleaning up the shop or having to move it to get to my tools..........you know how those horizontal surfaces seem to end up being catch-alls in the shop.

Your comment sounds like something DD would say........very witty! ;)

David C. Roseman
09-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Beautiful and inspiring, Roger! You've really showed that blank who's boss. Love the shape. Black walnut has long been one of my two or three favorites for flat work, and now turning. Have always found I need especially good dust control with it to avoid throat and sinus irritation.

David

Roger Chandler
09-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Beautiful and inspiring, Roger! You've really showed that blank who's boss. Love the shape. Black walnut has long been one of my two or three favorites for flat work, and now turning. Have always found I need especially good dust control with it to avoid throat and sinus irritation.

David

Good on you for the dust control, David. Walnut can be an irritant. I have an overhead air cleaner, a Trend Airsheild Pro and I run my dust collector ......all three when sanding. I want to do this hobby for a long time.........and have good health in the process!

Tony De Masi
09-26-2012, 4:09 PM
Roger, you are a much more patient person that I am, but of course I already knew that. It wouldn't have sat around but a few days before it went to the burn pile. But I'm glad you were able to teach that piece a lesson.

Roger Chandler
09-26-2012, 6:10 PM
Thanks Tony.......it is probably smarter than not to get rid of the botched pieces.........no evidence to incriminate us! ;):rolleyes: