PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Delta 46 460 lathe...

Wally Dickerman
09-25-2012, 1:24 PM
I've just purchased a new Delta 46 460 lathe for my Summer home-away-from home shop. Woodcraft had a deal which included a free Delta stand. I would like to add some weight, preferably sand. Has anybody somehow added a shelf to the Delta stand for this purpose?

I want to add a task light to the lathe. Any suggestions?

Tim Rinehart
09-25-2012, 1:40 PM
Wally, I litterally just took a couple bags of sand and layed them across the back of the legs. It's a pretty stout little lathe, weightwise, for it's size, and that's all I've ever had to do. That being said...I don't turn heavily lobsided chunks of wood in it either.

alex grams
09-25-2012, 2:07 PM
For light, I just get the simple 5$ aluminum hooded lights with spring clips and hang them overhead when I work. I looked at more expensive solutions, but for the cheap price, I am very happy with how they work.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CxBXJ1kmf-c/TD37WVCmpvI/AAAAAAAAAKw/Sd54Z-Maso0/s1600/pACE-987879dt.jpg

Paul Williams
09-25-2012, 2:34 PM
I used a small goose neck LED lamp from Ikea. Tried several locations and found it best clamped to the stand about 3/4 of the way down the stand. Closer to teh tail stock.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-25-2012, 10:22 PM
I got the IKEA lamp also, but I mounted it in a Craftsman magnetic tool tray. I guess you can mount it in any magnetic tool tray. The bonus is that now you have a place for those allen wrenches that you always need to hunt for. I also put my diamond cards, hone etc. It usually fills with shavings, but a quick puff of air gets the chips out. The tools stay put. Your CA bottle may fly out though.

Glen Blanchard
09-26-2012, 8:26 AM
Ditto on the IKEA lamp.....but I placed 3 at my lathe since they are so inexpensive.