PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Citrus Bowl

Kathy Marshall
09-24-2012, 8:42 PM
This was my project yesterday. The last time I was at the tree trimmers to pick up a load of af sumac, there was 1 lonely little citrus log mixed in. I'm not sure which type of citrus, but I imagine they're all pretty much alike, and looking at the cut end of the log it is very bland. Pretty much just a pale nothingness. But sometimes there are good uses for bland wood, so I took it with me. I cut the log in half and buried one of the halves in my sawdust pile in hopes of some spalting. I cut a blank out of the other half and started turning.

It seems to be a fairly hard wood, but it cut easily and left a nice surface. It also sanded very easily even though it was green, it would make a great wood for beginners to practice on. I'm thinking it might make some decent carving wood (at least green). I considered applying some dye, but didn't have the time or energy (that's a story for another day), and was surprised at how well it held up when I had to leave it uncovered and unattended for several hours.

Just a simple grain with some simple color, but I like it. It's 8 1/2" x 2 1/2" with just a coat of lacquer sanding sealer so far. I thought an oil might change the color, a pretty pale yellow, so skipped using any. I may just finish it with a few more coats of sealer, or possibly some satin lacquer since I don't really want the gloss look to this one.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are wecome.

Eric Gourieux
09-24-2012, 10:04 PM
That's a nice, simple bowl, Kathy. I like the bead around the foot. You're right, there is a place for simple.

Roger Chandler
09-24-2012, 10:35 PM
I really like this one Kathy..........fine form you put on it, and I like the change of pace with this citrus. I agree with just a sealer as a finish....matte, not gloss will make for a very usable bowl. I rate this with an A+.

Richard Jones
09-25-2012, 9:53 AM
Great form as usual.

Satin is always better than gloss.....................:)

Rich

Thom Sturgill
09-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Naturally, we get a lot of citrus down here in Florida. It usually spalts fast, but not pretty. Just turns a light muddy brown, but that might be a local fungus. It attacks quite quickly here, so citrus is generally turned to finish while very green and sealed with lacquer.

BTW, that is a nice simple bowl and pleasing for its simplicity.

wes murphy
09-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Nice bowl, Kathy. I really like it.

Norm Zax
09-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Great wood, a potential contender for holly if bleached. Bowl came out very nice. I have access to lemon or grafefoot but never over 5" (raw).

David DeCristoforo
09-25-2012, 11:53 AM
"Plain" wood offers a unique opportunity to focus the attention of the viewer on the form alone. There is no flamboyant figure or rich coloring to compensate for a less than perfect form. The form of this "simple" and "unassuming" bowl is spot on. The matte finish is perfect for it.

Jim Adkins
09-25-2012, 12:24 PM
+1 on DD's statement, "simple" & "unassuming" beautiful form.

Reed Gray
09-25-2012, 1:24 PM
I like the peak on the rim. Makes a nice shadow line. I do prefer plain and simple.

robo hippy

Tim Rinehart
09-25-2012, 1:37 PM
Very nice. I like the clean look and color in this piece. Nice to see stuff we don't hear about turning...looks like a winner to turn!

Doug Herzberg
09-25-2012, 6:42 PM
I like that a lot, Kathy. Does it smell good when you're working with it?

Kathy Marshall
09-25-2012, 8:33 PM
Thanks guys!
If you ever come across any citrus, give it a try!

Naturally, we get a lot of citrus down here in Florida. It usually spalts fast, but not pretty. Just turns a light muddy brown, but that might be a local fungus. It attacks quite quickly here, so citrus is generally turned to finish while very green and sealed with lacquer.

BTW, that is a nice simple bowl and pleasing for its simplicity.
Mrs Tree Trimmer said on of the other guys that gets wood from them, has had good luck with spalting it and gets some nice colors in it, so we'll see. But then, he may just be color blind :eek:.

I like the peak on the rim. Makes a nice shadow line. I do prefer plain and simple.

robo hippy
The peak was just a nice happenstance. I originally had it turned to just slope inward, but I didn't want a sharp edge on the outside, so I just started nipping away at it until it looked right.

I like that a lot, Kathy. Does it smell good when you're working with it?
It does have a slight citrusy smell, not very strong but it is a pleasant smell.

Bernie Weishapl
09-25-2012, 9:54 PM
Really nice bowl Kathy. I like the simple form, wood and the foot.

neil mackay
09-25-2012, 10:59 PM
It might be a simple little bowl, but some times the very simple forms can be the hardest to get right and easiest to stuff up. The form and foot are just great, not to mention the finish.

Baxter Smith
09-25-2012, 11:08 PM
Great looking bowl Kathy in all regards!