PDA

View Full Version : Jet 13 Molder/Planer

simono71
04-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Does anyone out there own this planer (I am intending on buying the enclosed stand version), if so I have a few questions:

First, the manual says in bold type not to plane wood thinner than 1/2". I regularly plane 1/4" boards for use as panels. Can you actually plane 1/4" on this machine without a problem?

Secondly, it looks like the casters only roll in one direction from the schematics. Is this true, and does that make it hard to move around the shop?

Thirdly, are you happy with it? I am buying it to replace a dewalt 2 knife portable. I want something with a quieter motor and a bit sturdier. The molding capability is also very attractive. Not sure I have the room for a 3hp planer, my DJ-20 and Unisaw take up most the space in my cramped little shop.

Thanks,

Simon

Tom Jones III
04-15-2005, 12:56 PM
I've owned one about 4-5 months and used it pretty heavily since then.

*You can plane boards very thin, I've gone to almost 1/8" riding on a sled. Every once in a while you'll tear a really thin sheet.
* Castors only roll in one direction. It is not great but not a show stopper.
* I bought this one b/c my wife is an artist and she wants me to make picture frames. Solid hardwood frames can easily cost $300+. Keep in mind that one set of knives for molding can be $60-$150 or more. Often, it will take 3 or more sets of knives for a picture frame.
* It is loud when you first turn it on, it gets louder when you run wood through it. There is something that happens when you put a DC hose on it and it gets really loud. Loud as in it is louder than my router.

I'm not crazy about the bed moving up and down while the knives are stationary. The Jet 15" is roughly the same price and the rollers are stationary while the knives move up and down. IMO, stationary rollers is a big plus. I only bought this b/c my wife insisted on the planer with molding capability. Consider the cost of the molding knives carefully before you buy. If you are really going to use the molding capability then you will probably be happy with the planer. I'll bet very few people actually make much of their own molding. I would also prefer that the rollers extended one more roller. Since the rollers move up and down, it is not feasible to use your own portable rollers.

simono71
04-15-2005, 1:08 PM
So it has a high pitch whine not unlike a universal motor then? I was expecting it to be more of hum like a jointer due to its induction motor.

Russ Massery
04-15-2005, 1:54 PM
I've had the same unit for 7yrs now. I haven't made a lot of molding with but did fine job of in none the less. No real problems to report, but the one way casters are a P.I.T.A. After a year or so I bought a universal mobil base for it. Mine is the old jet blue, with the open stand. I bought it when it first came out. They make feed rollers for the table but I made my own. I've planned boards to 1/4" with no problem and 1/8" with a carrier board. Any planner hooked up to a D.C. is going to be louder then with no D.C. But I owned a tabletop planner believe me this unit is much quieter than one with a universal motor.

Hope it helps,Russ :D

Kevin Post
04-15-2005, 2:28 PM
I had one a few years ago. I used it primarily as a planer and only made moldings on it twice. Mine had trouble with the gearbox which had to be rebuilt twice because I tried to remove material too aggressively. It bent the heck out of the shafts. Since then, I heard Jet had redesigned the gearbox and no longer have that trouble.

I traded it in for a Jet 15" planer. I had only used the JPM-13 to make moldings twice so I didn't miss the molder. I picked up a used W&H molder about a year ago but I have yet to make any moldings with it because it only came with planing knives and a set for making beadboard. The knives are $$$ and I typically make only small batches of moldings. I use my router table or shaper instead of buying knives.

The JPM-13 is no noisier than any other planer. As I recall, there is an adjustable piece of plastic designed to divert the chips from the planer head out through the dust chute. The closer the blades pass by this diverter, the noisier the machine runs. It's not high-pitched like a router. It's just loud... imagine the sound of an airplane prop. :D The blades create turbulence as they cut through the air. Like a planer, it gets louder when connected to a dust collector because more air is being forced through the machine.

-Kevin

Tom Jones III
04-15-2005, 2:31 PM
Not a sound LIKE a router, just more volume. I'll put it this way; I've got great neighbors and they have never complained about noise, but shortly after I got the planer a couple different neighbors asked, what the heck I was doing in my garage. They were not complaining, just curious about what was so loud. They don't even notice when I turn on my jointer, BS or TS, all with the DC running.

Ken Salisbury
04-15-2005, 4:18 PM
In order to be a boni fide member of Saw Mill Creek theTerms of Service (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php) require you to use a real first and last name. Please send Jackie Outten a private message (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=6) with that information and she will update your registration to reflect your real name.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif