PDA

View Full Version : What is illumachrome?

Ernie Martinez
09-24-2012, 3:45 PM
I've seen some items in catalogs with "Illumachrome" images on them, but when I google Illumachrome, I can't seem to find any explanation of the process, all I can find is people offering it.

Thanks

Martin Boekers
09-24-2012, 4:00 PM
There are a handful of process out there that will achieve this. Some tend to give it names to sound special. see http://acryliprint.com/
You can CLTT, some dye sub, water slide decals, UV print, photo laminate just to name a few possilities.

You ask a lot of questions! That's great, exploring territories many don't spend the time with. You many want to set up a bookmark system for
easy access on the research you are doing. I rely on that quite a bit!

Ernie Martinez
09-24-2012, 4:22 PM
Yea I tend to be a pain in the butt :) I have a bookmark folder dedicated to this stuff and already has over 100 links. I just want to start the biz with as much info and capabilities as possible. I move into the Shop/Retail location in a week, and have been busy. I don't know what area of the biz will be the most profitable, I'm in a tourist town with lots of gift shops, so theres the engraved gifts route, but many are color items so I'm considering a Pad Printer or Dye Sub for that, then there is all the businesses in the area that could use promotional swag, like realtors and the like, then theres all the high end home builders around here, lots of possible demand for Lasertile/Glass for Kitchen back splashes and Shower walls, murals etc. I then learned that Lasertile and glass hold up under water so the pool contractors will be another source for me to tap. My head is spinning at the moment hence all my questions.

I'm going to need to focus in the beginning so any advice is always welcomed.

Thanks

Martin Boekers
09-24-2012, 5:06 PM
No worries it's good to see someone really giving it a shot. Dye sub is good so many things to do with it. just make sure you buy a quality press
and not one size fits all. That's money well spent. Consider Ricoh gel printer, some like some don't Eposon is sort of universal with dislike :) jets clog
unless you run quite a bit. Pad printing make sure of your research as you deal with environmental issues. Vinyle cutters are a possiblity, a lot of them
out there, but with very little work you can pay it off quickly. I got a Roland GX24 as it has an optical reader so I can print and die cut. This is good
for emblems and logos to put on shirts. I use a Neenah vinyl with a Epson WF 1100 (pigment printer, must be so it's washable)

The biggest thing is learn Corel as you use it for everything. Do you turn pens? if so think about doing special ones, from wood taken (donated) from historic
trees, buildings etc. That makes them wort motre than standard turned pens. Waterslide decals works great for images on candles. So much more..........
Welcome to SMC!

Mike Null
09-25-2012, 8:06 AM
Ernie

For the business you are describing I can't imagine a pad printer will serve you well. Marty is right about other methods; they'll allow you to do one-offs and still make money. You can't do that with a pad printer.

Take a hard look at vinyl cutters as you can do both custom one off garments as well as signs and various things for vehicles etc. Check out the Stahl's website.