PDA

View Full Version : New Tablesaw & Jointer

Dustin Brown
09-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Hey guys, getting ready to purchase some new things now that my detached workshop is almost completed. A tablesaw, 8" jointer, and an air cleaner.

I've been doing a lot of searching the last few weeks and I'm almost set on buying the 52" Unisaw. I like the added space in front and to the left of the blade as well as the mostly US made part. I've found threads on pros and cons of various saws. Before I order this thing I wanted to see if anyone could tell me a reason to buy one of the other 3 saws I was looking at instead of this one. The Powermatic PM2000, the Jet XACTA Deluxe, and the Grizzly 1023RL.

I'm also looking at purchasing an 8" jointer so I can start buying roughcut lumber, probably with a spiral cutterhead. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Grizzly G0490X. Any reason you guys would not go for this one or would strongly recommend something else?

As for the air cleaner, pretty much settled on the Jet 1000B.

Thanks!

Montgomery Scott
09-24-2012, 12:39 PM
I would go for the MiniMax CU300. It is superior to the products you are interested in and has the additional functionality of a 12" jointer/planer and spindle shaper. Do a search on combination machines and you'll find not too many people who would go back to the single function machines.

Cary Falk
09-24-2012, 2:06 PM
You can get teh 1023RL and the 490X for the price of the Unisaw or PM. I traded iun my olde Unisaw for the 1023RL and have no regrets. I did it for the better DC and the Riving knife. theThey will al cut a board accurately an hold alignment.

Joseph Tarantino
09-24-2012, 3:12 PM
IMHO, your other 3 saws mention 2 losers and a winner grizzly. i'd echo the comment above to go with the 1023 (although i am partial to the old school trunion arrangement of the 690) and put the consisderable $ saved towards other tools. i'm sure there are some nice features on the unisaw that the griz deosn't have, but are they worth the incremental cost? i'd go with the griz. the delta may be worth it, but do you really need it? and the wmh tool group products (jet and powermatic) are just overpriced shadows of their former selves.

glenn bradley
09-24-2012, 3:25 PM
You have quite a wide price span with these four tablesaws so I am not sure how to respond there. I have run a G0490X for years and would not hesitate to go that way again. Just to add diversity; I'll say that I don't know that I would call the PM2000 or the Jet losers. There are many happy owners of both here. I also have seen posts where folks have gone back to dedicated machines as the all-in-one method didn't suit them. It is just a different approach to your work and some folks don't care for it.

So much of your satisfaction will depend on what you do with your tools. I don't use a lot of sheet goods so a slider does not call out to me in the middle of the night ;-). The type of work you do will steer your preferences as well. I am OK with combo machines as long as the features are readily available and don't require 32 turns of a wheel or the removal of a large assembly in order to convert over. Many combos have overcome this; some not so much.

I would buy a couple of Grizzly products and spend the rest on dust collection. Speaking of which, I assume the ambient cleaner is just an add-on to your current dust collection system(?). If it is your only system, definitely buy the 1023 and put the extra cash towards some sort of suitable DC. Have fun and good luck.

Dustin Brown
09-24-2012, 3:32 PM
I do have a brand new grizzly 2HP dust collector, the jet will just keep the shop cleaner.

Price isn't that big of a factor for me, but it is important. I have been looking at the 1023, but it will be out of stock in the 50" version for a while. I really like the unisaw so far, but I am having a hard time trying to justify the quality difference for the money. Also the availability, if its really worth it to me to save the money and wait til november or so for the grizzly.

The main purpose of the woodshop will be to build cabinets for the house and the odd furniture project etc... The tools won't get worked to death for sure, but I want to buy something that will last a long time and suit any future purpose.

Rod Sheridan
09-24-2012, 4:13 PM
The advice to check out combination machines is good advice.

Look at MiniMax and the Hammer K3....................Those of us who own a small slider and use it for cabinets and solid wood would never go back to a cabinet saw........Rod.

Jay Rasmussen
09-24-2012, 9:31 PM
Hey Dustin,
My experience, “you get what you pay for”

Not always true but I’ve been down the road thinking I was getting a 2 dollar machine for a dollar. Then sold the dollar machine for 50 cents.

Good luck and have fun!
Jay

Dustin Brown
09-24-2012, 11:39 PM
I just read where a supposed woodcraft employee commented on the unisaw fence. This person stated that the fence deflects easily and that the only adjustments are for parallel to the blade, not square to the table surface.

Can anyone confirm or debunk this? I definitely don't want a fence like that if its true.

David Kumm
09-25-2012, 12:22 AM
I just read where a supposed woodcraft employee commented on the unisaw fence. This person stated that the fence deflects easily and that the only adjustments are for parallel to the blade, not square to the table surface.

Can anyone confirm or debunk this? I definitely don't want a fence like that if its true.

If you are referring to the revised Biesemeyer fence with the AL tube t slotted into the angle iron, it has all the adjustments. I put one on a Rockwell 12-14 and don't notice any significant deflection. I would not use it with a power feeder without a stop but hand feeding is no issue. It does move very smoothly and stays square as it travels. Dave

scott spencer
09-25-2012, 10:37 AM
For a hobby shop, I'd have no problem choosing the G1023RL for $1294 if your willing to be your own middle man....it's a great deal on a very nice saw. If you'd rather pay for dealer support to handle everything for you, pay the dealer. It's hard to go wrong with any of these saws. If the difference between the saws mentioned makes a difference in your work, you're a better woodworker than me!

Robert Chapman
09-25-2012, 9:17 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned SawStop. My wife bought me one last Spring and I really like it. Not only is it much harder to cut off your fingers - it is a really fine, high quality tablesaw. Check it out before you decide.

Paul Cahill
09-25-2012, 9:21 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned SawStop. Check it out before you decide.

+1 I agree.

Paul

Dustin Brown
09-25-2012, 9:24 PM
I did consider sawstop, until I found out what they tried to do. I despise companies that lobby for legislation to force something on the masses, all in an effort to line their pockets.

jeff . whitaker
09-25-2012, 9:35 PM
[QUOTE=Paul Cahill;1984392]+1 I agree.

-1 I don't care for the way they do business.. so I take my money to other people

Larry Prem
09-25-2012, 10:14 PM
The Grizzly 1023RL is a fine saw for the money they charge.
With a good sliding table the saw takes care of anything I need it to do.

If you want something larger, I'd skip right to Felder or Minimax.

Dustin Brown
09-26-2012, 3:07 PM
Anyone know where I can find a 52" unisaw in stock? I started to order it from toolsplus, but they informed me that delta is out of them until sometime in november, probably even longer.

Greg McClurg
09-26-2012, 3:31 PM
Dustin,

I purchased the Delta a year ago and have been very happy with it. No problems with the fence, and really like the riving knife and it's ease of adjustablitliy.

Greg

Robert Chapman
09-26-2012, 9:25 PM
There are some aspects of capitalism that I don't like either. But I do like my fingers and I appreciate a fine piece of equipment.

Dustin Brown
09-26-2012, 10:25 PM
There are some aspects of capitalism that I don't like either. But I do like my fingers and I appreciate a fine piece of equipment.

It's not capitalism, it's corrupt corporatism and corrupt government. I like my fingers just as much as the next guy, but if sawstop had their way everyone would be stuck using their system and paying them for it. The free market does and is working to respond to new technology. A few manufacturers are working to design their own systems that don't destroy the blade. Anytime there is room for open competition you always have improvements and advancements in technology. When you allow monopolistic control you always end up with the inhibition of growth and an increase in prices. Some of you guys really need to rethink your views on what is happening and start getting a little outraged at this kind of stuff instead of shrugging your shoulders and thinking "that's just the way it is"...

Dustin Brown
09-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks a lot for your input guys, I was able to find one in stock today and went ahead and ordered it. Should be the proud new owner of a 52" unisaw next week.

Mel Fulks
09-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Many safety devices have been circumvented and accidents caused by relying on something not in working order.There are already cases of kids in school shops tripping the saws as an infantile magic tricks. There are many texting and eating lunch while driving cars thinking they have air bags .But many don't because of crooked deals where someone pocketed the money instead of installing it . There is no substitute for good work habits. I have seen guys leave machines partially set up to go find a wrench to tighten it ,get distracted and come back and reach for the switch without tightening. When I started working every machine had dedicated tools. Now they don't and guys just wander around looking for stuff. What is in the technology pipe line to fix that?

Doug Colombo
10-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Congrats !!! I bought one a little over a year ago and love it. I also have had no issues with the fence. Have fun making saw dust !!!

Paul McGaha
10-03-2012, 4:37 AM
Thanks a lot for your input guys, I was able to find one in stock today and went ahead and ordered it. Should be the proud new owner of a 52" unisaw next week.

Congratulations Dustin. Please post some pictures of it and let us know what you think of it next week.

PHM