PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Ebony

Jeff Belany
09-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Customer wants some 1/8" Ebony cut. Tried everything I could think of with no success. Been cutting hardwoods for 13 years and some was pretty tough but nothing like this. Has anyone had success cutting Ebony? What kind of power did you need? My 45W would cut a small oval pretty well at very slow (2) speeds but when I tried the more complex shape the wood heated up to glowing and just vaporized. Tried multiple passes but that didn't work either.

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. This is my first total failure in 13 years and I'm pretty frustrated!!

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Gary Hair
09-24-2012, 12:26 PM
I tried the same thing with my 30 watt machine, no success just lots of charred ebony. Ebony is extremely hard and very oily, not a good combination for lasering. I ended up using my cnc router to cut his inlays using a 1/64" two-flute cutter.

I have cut lots of red alder and walnut with no problem, it's just the ebony that is difficult/impossible with a laser. Here is one of my projects using alder and walnut - http://www.orkron.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/ja-bc-wood_800.jpg

Gary

Mike Null
09-24-2012, 2:25 PM
The density of ebony is such that it will burn before you can get it cut. It isn't much easier using conventional wood working tools. Tough stuff.

George M. Perzel
09-24-2012, 7:25 PM
Not much luck here either-damn near started the house on fire by cutting at very slow speed and resulting flareup melted focus probe before I could smother it-nasty stuff.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Joe Pelonio
09-24-2012, 8:26 PM
Same experience here, and there are also some exotic varieties of mahogany that behave the same way.

Lee DeRaud
09-24-2012, 8:35 PM
Same experience here, and there are also some exotic varieties of mahogany that behave the same way.Add purpleheart to that list, despite not usually being all that oily.

The surprising thing is that similar hard oily woods such as bloodwood and cocabolo aren't nearly as difficult.