PDA

View Full Version : Brad Point Bits--by 16ths or 64ths?

Matt Meiser
09-24-2012, 11:22 AM
My Chinese-made Hickory bits are getting pretty bad and its time to buy new. Its a huge set that goes by 64ths and honestly I really don't know which ones I use because I just find one that matches up. Most sets just go by 16ths except the Lee Valley set that goes by 64ths as well. Its $180. I'm wondering if I'd really miss the 32nd and 64th sizes?

Mike Cutler
09-24-2012, 11:35 AM
Matt

If it's sets, or individuals,WL. Fuller can supply you.
They only make drill bits, and Milling machine cutters. They're located in Rhode Island.

http://www.wlfuller.com/html/brad_point_sets.html

Bruce Page
09-24-2012, 11:41 AM
The LV set is very good. I would not want to be limited to a 1/16 range.

Mike Henderson
09-24-2012, 1:09 PM
I have a set that goes by 64ths and a couple of sets that go by 16ths. I guess I mostly use the sets that go by 16ths, until I run into a situation that requires a odd size bit. I bought the 64ths set without the numbered bits and it was less than $200 for a very good quality set - by Viking or Norseman, don't remember the exact name.

[Oops, the ones I recommended are not brad point bits.]

Mike

Matt Meiser
09-24-2012, 1:27 PM
The Fuller ones make the LV ones look like a downright bargain. :eek:

Michael W. Clark
09-24-2012, 1:29 PM
Matt,
I have a Grizzly set, not what you would necessarily consider high quality, but it is in 64s. I find that I use the 64s more than I thought I would. I think the LV set can be added to in increments. I have their forstner bit set (8s) and the 16s can be added at any time and fit in the box I currently have (already labeled).

Jim Neeley
09-24-2012, 1:54 PM
I also have the Lee Valley set... They take Fuller (high-quality, made in the USA) bits and grind the brad points on their CNC machines. Leave it to Rob Lee and Veritas to take a great product and tailor it into something ideally suited for woodworking!! :)

Matt Meiser
09-25-2012, 10:50 AM
I went ahead and sprang for the LV set by 64ths. I like the fact that individual replacements are readily available there. I probably could have gone through my set and tested them each and just replaced the ones that weren't cutting good but I'm not flush with time lately and eventually buying individuals I'd spend way more than the set cost.

Jim Tobias
09-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Matt,
Just saw your thread and I know you have already pulled the trigger and bought the LV set. I'm just chiming in to say you won't be sorry you did.
I have had that set for over a year and even though there are still 5 or 6 bits in the set with the rubber coating still on the tip(unused), I have used all the other bits. It's one of those "you have it when you need it, but just never know when that will be".
Anyway, I find i keep that set in a convenient spot because I am reaching for it often.
Jim

Matt Meiser
09-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Matt,
Just saw your thread and I know you have already pulled the trigger and bought the LV set. I'm just chiming in to say you won't be sorry you did.
I have had that set for over a year and even though there are still 5 or 6 bits in the set with the rubber coating still on the tip(unused), I have used all the other bits. It's one of those "you have it when you need it, but just never know when that will be".
Anyway, I find i keep that set in a convenient spot because I am reaching for it often.
Jim

Ugh. They come with the rubber coating on the tips? I HATE that stuff! :D

Seriously, what's the best way to get that stuff off? I feel like someone's torn off my finger nails by the time I clean it off a few router bits or blades.

Cary Falk
09-25-2012, 11:51 AM

Seriously, what's the best way to get that stuff off? I feel like someone's torn off my finger nails by the time I clean it off a few router bits or blades.

The coating just slides off in a spiral motion. I leave it intact and twist it back on when I am done. It protects the tips.

Bruce Page
09-25-2012, 11:54 AM
It comes of drill bits pretty easily. I just grip it with a rag/paper towel and twist the bit out.

Jim Tobias
09-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Like Cary said, it just twists off easily. I have to admit I don't put it back on.
Jim

Mort Stevens
09-25-2012, 4:54 PM

I have a number of really old drill bits and a few saw blades too that have that kind of coating on them and I guess being 30+ years old and sitting in a drawer all that time has turned that stuff into a rock hard coating that you can't get off with your fingers, even a pliers it just comes off in little chunks, so I found that wire wheeling them is the only way.

ray hampton
09-25-2012, 5:12 PM
buying a set of drills that go by 64ths will be better if you drill holes for something other than bolts , a 7/16 " bolt will work in a 1/2" hole but a 7/16" dowel are too small for a 1/2"