PDA

View Full Version : Trotec Speedy

David Fairfield
09-24-2012, 10:33 AM
OK guys, convince me to buy one. :) I've been thinking about getting a second laser, to speed production. I'd like something that can do at least everything my Epilog can do, but faster. Engraving on the Epilog is just beautiful, it would be tough to beat, only speed can improve it IMHO. So how sharp is the Trotec engrave quality? How sharp is it at 100% speed? Do the vectors show tremors at the curves and corners?

I'm not ready to buy yet, possibly in the summer depending on biz, but I'm starting to consider the options now so I will know how to budget.

Thanks!
Dave

Michael Kowalczyk
09-24-2012, 4:04 PM
Hey David,
I use 100% speed to engrave all the time and it is as sharp as the original. Depends if you use 333 DPI, 500, 600 or 1000 and it does take almost twice as long to do it at 600dpi as it does 333dpi. You know you have to take into consideration the power side also but I would put my Trotec up against any other laser of equal power and I think Kern, with it's high speed option, is the only one that may be close. Not sure about Universals high speed option.

I would be happy to show you what the time would be on any engraved or cut item you can come up with. Trotec has the ability to estimate the job time and it is very accurate. Most of the time it comes with in a few seconds. if you want to send me a file, PM me and I will send my email since a decent file would possibly be too big to post here.

Tremors depends on speed and motion controls but I found mine does best at 3% speed to mark and it varies too much between materials and thickness for cut settings.

Thanks and...

Michael Hunter
09-24-2012, 7:11 PM
I've seen Romark LaserLights engraved by a Trotec with text far smaller than my Epilog could manage when it was brand new.
To rub salt into the wound, the horizontals and verticals were ***exactly*** the same width.

I barely need to say it, but I would like a Trotec too (a Speedy 400 80W please, if Father Christmas is listening).

Keith Outten
09-24-2012, 9:26 PM
I'd like something that can do at least everything my Epilog can do, but faster. Engraving on the Epilog is just beautiful, it would be tough to beat, only speed can improve it IMHO.

Thanks!
Dave

Dave,

Your Epilog won't be hard to beat IMO. The Trotecs are fast but there is so much more to enjoy than just the speed.
We purchased a Speedy 300 75 watt laser at CNU late last year. I thought we would need two machines to keep up with the workload engraving signs for three buildings. Once we started using the Trotec the 60 watt Xenetech 1325 became a paperweight. We engraved 850 door signs and almost 400 specialty signs using just the Trotec and we were ahead of schedule.

I bought a Trotec Speedy 300 80 watt laser to replace an old Epilog Legend in my sign shop in early January, its a solid workhorse with the coolest software I have even seen.

Kim Vellore
09-24-2012, 11:49 PM
David I envy you, when I was looking for a laser Trotec was top on the list and I never got a quote at that time and my belief was it would be way more expensive than the epilog. If I were to buy a laser it would be either a Trotec or a Chinese laser. I rather get the best one for the price or the cheapest one.

Kim

Keith Outten
09-25-2012, 6:23 AM
FWIW Trotec has lowered their prices over the last couple of years. With the SawMill Creek discount the Speedy 300 is price competitive with a comparable class Epilog or Universal machine.
We have a direct connection to the Sales Director in Michigan, no other laser manufacturer has ever been willing to offer our Community major discounts and a direct connection to one of their managers. I have discussed the relationship between SawMill Creek Members and Trotec with the President of the company in Michigan including dozens of phone calls to their Sales Director Amie McGee. Trotec is dead serious about working with any Member of our Community, the proof of their commitment is the fast growing list of new Trotec owners here.

For the record SawMill Creek doesn't receive any compensation from Trotec, they sponsor a banner ad here but we are not rewarded financially for machine sales. My conversations with Trotec were centered around what they would do for any Member here who purchased a Trotec Laser. Members here receive a discount based on the machine they purchase and the options they select. The entire benefit goes to the Member, not The Creek.

Mike Null
09-25-2012, 7:46 AM
More than 6 years ago I needed a new machine and did a substantial amount of study comparing Universal (which I had), Epilog and Trotec. The Trotec was considerably more expensive than the Epilog at that time. After a thorough comparison and seeing the Trotecs in action at two other locations I concluded that I would pay a few thousand more and buy the Trotec.

I am in my seventh year with ZERO down time. The machine is precise, fast, reliable and a dream to use. It is easily the best bargain on the market. (the machine I have is now several thousand less than I paid and I'm still a happy camper)

More power will let you make full use of the awesome speed.

Mark Sipes
09-25-2012, 12:56 PM
If you need convincing...you are not deserving.....

Bruce Dillingham
09-25-2012, 3:55 PM
I just got a Speedy 300 80W a month ago. Really impressed with it. It's fast and the software is powerful.

Scott Shepherd
09-25-2012, 6:39 PM
I don't know that my goal would be to convince anyone to buy any brand laser. My goal would be that you buy the laser that best suits your needs and budget. You'd have to define what you hope to achieve with a Trotec vs. the Epilog and then we can tell you if you can achieve that, but I'm not sure anything I say would "convince" you to buy one vs. the other.

I've never seen a laser that didn't show tremors in high speed vector marking or cutting.

Engraving at 100% speed is no different in quality than engraving at 20% speed.

David Fairfield
09-26-2012, 8:52 AM
Hey thanks everyone for the replies so far!

Its interesting that you are reporting the engrave quality is same at any speed. Because on my Epilog there is some slight blurring at the upper end of the speed range. In most cases it would not be a factor, but for the precision miniature work I do, especially in 3d, I don't often run faster than 60 % or so. Which has not been a problem, because the work surfaces are small. But it does become a factor in commercial production of large batches.

Oh that reminds me, can anyone comment on the 3d engrave feature in the Trotec Driver? I assume there is one.

Michael, I'd like to take you up on your offer sometime. Meantime just so I can compare speeds, can you tell me how long your machine would take to engrave a 6 inch by 6 inch square at 600 dpi at 100 percent speed?

Thanks again! :)
Dave

Mike Null
09-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Dave

As I recall, the Epilogs rasters at about 80 ips; the Speedy 300 rasters at 140 ips, just for comparison.

There is no 3d setting in the Trotec driver that I'm aware of. If I want to do 3d, which I don't, I would create 3d art and run it on raster. It can also be run on vector if the art is set up for it but in my opinion it is slower.

Mark Sipes
09-26-2012, 1:39 PM
A 6" x 6" square ???? my machine was one of the first US machines, 12 years old and travels at 87"/sec no vector border cut. 10 min, 1 sec..... Ref a current post on Rotary Attachments.....no big deal changing to rotary on the Trotec. just plug in the attachment, set D" and check Rotary...... No rice or water required (LOL)

I would think the Job Control software would be the major factor in a decision to buy the Trotec. WYSIWYG... Create multi Duplicate plates and place any where on the table. Want a second Vector cut-out without having to run the entire job.. there's a button for that!. Change raster and vector power/speed setting and save settings. rotate jobs from portrait to landscape........ change head location in the X, Y or Z axis in the software or the machine . see the job on the screen for acurate placement of text/placement.. and on and on.

Robert Tepper
09-27-2012, 11:24 PM
I don't have a Speedy, I have a Rayjet 300, 80 watt. My machine was purchased for R&D work, manufacturing rubber stamps, mylar stencils and nameplates. The only problem with my machine is finding enough time to try all the ides I have.
This is the most valuable purchase I have made in 33 years in business.