PDA

View Full Version : Maple vase with pyrography

Tony Pridmore
09-23-2012, 6:23 PM
A lady at work had flower sketches on her desk that reminded me of the wildflower series Cynthia Gibson has been doing for some time. So I showed her online photos of Michael and Cynthia's work (http://www.michaelgibsonwoodturner.com) and naturally she was impressed. I explained that about a year ago I had taken a workshop led by the Gibsons and was interested in trying the pyrography techniques that were presented. So we agreed that if I turned a vase or hollow form that she would sketch a design for me to burn (note that I am admittedly challenged when it comes to drawing). This being my first attempt at pyrography, other than the workshop, she chose to base the sketch off of Cynthia's simple, but elegant, flower pattern.

Having completed this piece, I now have a renewed respect and admiration of Cynthia's work. The stippled background was, um... let's say tedious.

Maple, 2 3/4" x 5 1/2", finished in Satin Lacquer.

Dennis Ford
09-23-2012, 6:48 PM
That is very nice work. You did a good job with the burning (and the turning). I like the collaboration idea and might try that myself, I know someone who can draw much better than myself.

Marc Himes
09-23-2012, 7:30 PM
Tedious for sure, but what a great result!

Darren Jamieson
09-23-2012, 7:35 PM
Looks great and if it is your first shot at the burning you did very well, your lines are nice and clean.

Thom Sturgill
09-23-2012, 8:18 PM
Very nice. as was said, clean llines (both the turning and the burning). While tedious the stippling produces a dramatic effect.

Jay Jolliffe
09-23-2012, 8:29 PM
Looks really nice. Any chance on explaining how you did the stippling....

Allan Ferguson
09-23-2012, 8:53 PM
A very pleasing work. Congratulations on a fine job.

Richard Madden
09-23-2012, 9:11 PM
First attempt??? Holy cow, what a great job! You should continue with pyrography.

charlie knighton
09-23-2012, 9:51 PM
very nice......

Bernie Weishapl
09-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Really nice Tony and very well done.

Tony Pridmore
09-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the kind comments.

Jay, the stippling technique is simple. Outline the objects with a burning tip in the shape of a skew or knife. Then color outside the lines by repeatedly touching the area with a hot stylus burning tip like the one below. The stippling is just a whole bunch of random connected dots. Probably the most difficult aspects are to achieve a fairly even shade throughout and to avoid noticeable patterns.

The stylus tip has to be cleaned occasionally to remove soot buildup which prevents efficient heat transfer. For this I use a couple of pieces of leather; one rough, the other smooth - like a strop.

This particular turning allowed for sanding both top and bottom after stippling, which made it easy to stipple the entire field. Otherwise you need some type of break, like a bead or groove, to provide a stopping point. Before sanding you could see my marks rolled over the edge and it really did not look very clean.

Baxter Smith
09-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Very nice work Tony!

Kathy Marshall
09-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Excellent job Tony! Your pyro looks great for a 1st or a 50th! Looking forward to what you come up with next!

Michelle Rich
09-24-2012, 6:08 AM
my my, for a first, it is quite lovely...

Jim Adkins
09-24-2012, 8:06 AM
Tony, nice job both in the turning and Pyro. You utilized the best there is to follow.....Cynthia and Mike, what a team!

Tim Rinehart
09-24-2012, 8:28 AM
Hey Tony...that's outstanding! I look forward to seeing this at next SPW meeting. I still think how disappointed I was to miss that workshop (was out of town for work). Again...fantastic job!

Tony Pridmore
09-24-2012, 8:08 PM
Hey Tony...that's outstanding! I look forward to seeing this at next SPW meeting. I still think how disappointed I was to miss that workshop (was out of town for work). Again...fantastic job!

Oh, too late. This piece was at the county fair for a couple of days and also at this past Tuesday's SPW club meeting. If it showed up at another club function I would take some serious ribbing. Actually, today I gave it to my sketch artist as payment for future drawings. Of course I immediately followed its presentation with a bag containing the next turning to be embellished. :D

Thanks for the compliment.