PDA

View Full Version : Kilns in Central PA?

Tom Frank
09-23-2012, 9:15 AM
I am thinking about laying quarter sawn white oak hardwood floors on my first floor. I'm in Central PA near State College, and wondering if anyone knows of any kilns in the area that would dry the boards for me if I provide them. The guy at sawmill I go to has a white oak job coming up. He said he'd be willing to quarter saw it for me, but couldn't kiln dry it unless he happened to have other stuff to fill the kiln, because his kiln is for 30,000 board feet and I will only need about 1000 ft. including any excess.

Anyone know of anyone with a kiln who'd do this? I suppose I'd be willing to drive about an hour or so if needed. Driving time is not as much of concern as cost of gas with my truck. Thanks.

Scott T Smith
09-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Tom, you might want to check with Nyle Corporation to see if they have a list of their kiln owners near you. Also check Woodweb, and the Forestry Forum.

Be sure that you find an operator that is knowledgeable about drying QSWO. Oak is one of the more difficult species to dry with minimal degrade, and QS oak requires about 25-40% longer in the kiln.

1000 bd ft is a relatively small kiln run, but unless it is mixed with additional QSWO of the same thickness, you would be better off to run it separately.

Another option - if you're not in a hurry - is to have your lumber milled ASAP, and air dry it until the spring. By May it should be down around 16% MC or thereabouts, and you can have it slipped into a kiln to finish it off. Stacking and stickering will be key to minimizing degrade, as will covering the stacks to keep moisture out of them.

Tom Frank
09-23-2012, 2:03 PM
Thanks a lot, Scott. Regarding the idea of air drying down to 16%, would someone who could kiln dry my boards find that favorable over having to dry them freshly milled? Or would it still be almost as much work and not make much of a difference to them?

Scott T Smith
09-23-2012, 11:34 PM
Tom, in your area air drying oak over the winter is pretty much a "fire and forget" type of thing, as long as you pay attention to the basics (end seal, do a very good job stacking and stickering, sticker at 18" or less on center, and cover the stacks with tin or something impervious to water.).

For the kiln operator, one lumber is below 25% MC you can safely mix it with other species (also below 25%), and it is very difficult to damage it by drying too quickly. Above 25% and you have to be really careful.

A small kiln operator (such as a smaller DH kiln) can place your 16%MC QS oak into their kiln and finish it off in less than a week, saving you $ and increasing the potential for finding a kiln. What you DON'T want to have happen is for them to mix your AD wood in with a load of green wood; that would result in degrade to your lumber.

Quality wise, theoretically the least degrade occurs when you log on day 1, mill on day 2, and place the wood into a kiln on day 3. However, milling in the fall and air drying over the winter typically does not result in excessive degrade.

Frank Drew
09-24-2012, 8:47 AM
Tom,

You don't see it much, but QSWO makes a beautiful floor. The National Gallery in Washington, DC has one, from back when they could get fairly wide boards. Good luck, if things go right I think you'll be very happy with the results.

Tom Frank
09-24-2012, 9:00 AM
Thanks again, Scott. And Frank, I agree with you. I have seen it a few times in very old buildings here in PA, always on very narrow floor boards. I plan on goingvwider though, probably random. I think the figure and the grain looks so unique.

Chad Bender
09-24-2012, 1:22 PM
Give Clayton Braucht in Milheim a call (814-574-5666). He operates a small kiln, buying green lumber from local operations, drying it, and reselling it. I've purchased oak, cherry, and maple from him on several occasions. The only caveat is that his business seems to have tanked over the past couple of years, so he went from daily hours to weekend hours to by appt only. I haven't been out there in at least 6 months, so don't even know if he's still operating.