PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Ground- Finally!

Glenn Kotnik
09-23-2012, 7:50 AM
Can anyone find the problem with my workshop?

If you said: "Glenn you need more space for all that junk, you can't work in there", you're right.

After 20 years of working in an over crowded garage, my wife recently told me to build a new shop, the shop of my dreams. It will be locaten in our backyard. My neighbor Ryan who is a fellow woodworker and also a home builder worked on the design. 24x36 feet. 4" concrete slab. We plan to break ground in a week or two. I'll believe it when I see it. My wife wanted a small porch on one side so she'll get that too, for her swing.

The builder will build the foundation and shell including painting the fibercement siding, complete shell, gutters, upstairs floor. I'll finish the rest.

I will need to put in wiring and recepticles, insulation in the walls, lighting, propane heater, wallboard, ceiling board, floor. So I would appreciate ideas on these items. For example, what can I put on the ceiling that will be sturdy but not weigh much, 1/4" OSB? I hate drywall. On the walls I would like something like wood paneling but that might cost too much. OSB would work but looks bad on walls. Some other thin cheap woodgrain paneling? I would like wood on the floor but I think that would cost too much also, so is Epoxy my best option?
Not visable on these elevations is a double door on the western side. This should allow me to rent a forklift and move my machines from the garage and put them inside onto the workshop floor. Machines include 12" jointer, vintage PM66 TS, 18" band saw, drillpress, Oneway 1224 lathe, PM mortiser. Any problems I should anticipate using a forklift to move this equipment?

The upper area started out to be just storage but as we designed the shop it evolved into a large work area as well as storage. The ceiling is 9" and there will about 12' width where I could walk with no danger of hitting my head. I think the area will be perfect for my lathe. Also a good area for veneering and assembling smaller pieces. There are 3 skylights plus whatever ceiling lights I install. I'll need to put insulation and paneling up.

I plan to use T8 lighting with enough bulbs to give me 120 footcandles at bench level. There seem to be plenty of posts about lighting so I shouldn't have too much trouble with this.

If anyone sees mistakes or potential problems I'd like to hear about it before I get too far along. Right now we're just waiting for the building permit to be approved then the dirt will fly.